Can my son use my gun ?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

andyh

Can my son use my gun ?

#1 Post by andyh »

Hi all, just a quick question.

I go shooting at a local club with my 12yr old son and we currently use the clubs rifles, I'm putting in for my FAC shortly and was thinking when I get my own rifle will my son be able to use it at the club or would he still have to use the club guns. I do fully understand that he can't handle it anywhere just wondered about being at the club?

Hope this makes sense.
ovenpaa

Re: Can my son use my gun ?

#2 Post by ovenpaa »

Does the club shoot on MoD land or a private ground? if it is MoD absolutely not however if it is a private club they may allow your son to shoot under 1:1 supervision with your rifle. Best thing is ask them.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
andyh

#3 Post by andyh »

Thanks ovenpaa, it's private indoor target club, I'll check it out next time I go. :cheers:
HeatherW762

#4 Post by HeatherW762 »

Assuming the club is home office approved and your son is a member, probationary or full, then he can use your rifle (even on MoD ranges - sorry Ovenpaa ;) ) as, in effect, on a club shoot your rifle becomes a club rifle. Many clubs utilise this when training probationers as not all clubs have club rifles.

Heather
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by IainWR »

My colleague Heather is spot on (S15 Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988), however in addition, if your club is .22" only then anyone at all can use any .22" rifle at all without any paperwork at all (S11(4) Firearms Act 1968).

Iain
Firearms Manager
NRA
ovenpaa

#6 Post by ovenpaa »

I stand corrected however is this down to the specific MoD range being shot at then? I ask because I am sure the MoD ranges I shoot at will not allow under 16 year olds to shoot regardless of club status.

I could be wrong tho..... :oops:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
tikkathreebarrels

#7 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

ovenpaa wrote:I stand corrected however is this down to the specific MoD range being shot at then? I ask because I am sure the MoD ranges I shoot at will not allow under 16 year olds to shoot regardless of club status.

I could be wrong tho..... :oops:
Sounds familiar, I have 14yrs in mind. And yet they'll have cadets roaring all over the place from time to time so that can't be right, maybe it's a FAC thing?
andyh

#8 Post by andyh »

Thanks for the help everyone. We was at the club last night and they're fine with it, even better they have said it's time for me to put in for my FAC clapclap
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#9 Post by IainWR »

Ah.

Age limits on MoD ranges are a different issue.

I believe that the rule is that under-18s may only shoot if the OC of the Range Administering Unit gives permission. So, with the right dispensation from the right person, it's OK. But the dispensation is at the discretion of the OC.

Iain