Elevation & Wind Tutorials

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Mail2pete

Elevation & Wind Tutorials

#1 Post by Mail2pete »

Hi,

I am looking for tutorials on Elevation and Wind plotting. Can anyone advise where I can find some?
Gun Pimp

Re: Elevation & Wind Tutorials

#2 Post by Gun Pimp »

Mail2pete wrote:Hi,

I am looking for tutorials on Elevation and Wind plotting. Can anyone advise where I can find some?
If you can wait until the new year, you could do the F Class training weekend at Bisley in February. Very informative and good fun.

Alternatively, any range where F Class or Target Rifle is shot, will have shooters who will surely spend a half hour with you showing you how to plot.

Vince
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by IainWR »

There is an article in the NRA Journal, many years ago, entitled "Plot your way to better scores". It's written by David Calvert (Queen's Champion 2011, Commonwealth Games triple gold medallist and record holder, and a success with just about any gun he picks up). If I can find which Journal it's in I'll post a link if it's new enough.

Iain
Mail2pete

#4 Post by Mail2pete »

Hi, Thanks for the quick replys. Have been shooting for years but only just started Full Bore. I can hit the target but if I could read and plot what the wind was doing I might get my shots on the same side of the target more often.

Pete
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by IainWR »

Plotting is easy - takes an hour or so to learn and a bit of practice to be able to do it quickly enough not to interfere with the shoot. Reading the wind, now that's a different skill altogether.
Dougan

#6 Post by Dougan »

Mail2pete wrote:Hi,

Hi Pete,

PM me (need 5 posts to PM) your email and I'll send you some tutorials that someone else sent me - they're good, but you could also contact the NRA directly and book a course for plotting and/or reading the wind...
Mail2pete

#7 Post by Mail2pete »

Thanks Dougan, Will PM you when I get to 5 posts. This is number 3
Pete
Dougan

#8 Post by Dougan »

Mail2pete wrote:Thanks Dougan, Will PM you when I get to 5 posts. This is number 3
Pete
You've got 4 now...reply to this, and you'll have the 5 :good:
Mail2pete

#9 Post by Mail2pete »

Thanks will PM when the bar is lifted
Pete
Dougan

#10 Post by Dougan »

OK you should have them now...

I found them very useful - while I don't have the skills/concentration to plot both while competing, I found plotting my shoots afterwards gave me some very good info....they showed how my first 3 to 5 shots strung upwards (allowing me to make some decisions on elevation adjustments even before a shoot), and highlighted some bad wind calls (over and under-estimation).....

....hopefully they'll help you too,

Dougan :cheers: