Rifle or Shotgun?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

SevenSixTwo

Re: Rifle or Shotgun?

#11 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Thanks all so far.

That's the trick - there's no 'slots' system here. You either buy it or you don't. No slots to fill later. :bad:

I need to get fixed with an order soon as my indecision (lack of knowledge of the market) is delaying my application.

Disappointing about the Spikes doing away with .22LR... can't have that! Probably going to have to spunk out on an LMT in .223 if there's a .22 drop-in kit for it.
ordnance

#12 Post by ordnance »

Oh, until recently I had my V-22 down as a bunny/vermin rifle on my FAC as well as a club rifle - (some folk think that such things are not allowed)
In N Ireland you will not get a military looking rifle for hunting. There is nothing in the legalisation saying that you can't. But the police told dealers club only.
saddler

#13 Post by saddler »

The V-22 for sale on here (not mine) comes with a lot of gear & has been dropped to £500

I'd go the .22 route THEN add a c/f upper

Well aware of the NI laws as I used to do a lot of dealings with that part of the UK when I worked at Browning
SevenSixTwo

#14 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Fair one. Any suggestions for dealers? You'd think there were only four or so in the UK...

A private sale isn't really an option as I need to negotiate that they'll refund if I get knocked back on my app. It's a lot of cash to fork out if that happens.

I might take the risk for the right deal though (but the seller would have to agree to hold it for me for a few weeks).

:)
ordnance

#15 Post by ordnance »

Well aware of the NI laws as I used to do a lot of dealings with that part of the UK when I worked at Browning
You are better informed than a lot of people living here then. As i said its not the law, its a directive form the PSNI. I know a guy has a V-22 nice rifle.
CDM5
Home club or Range: Tidworth RPC & Bisley

#16 Post by CDM5 »

I made the mistake of not getting a SGC at the same time as my FAC. Didn't have enough passport photos.

Now I'd like to take part in practical shotgun but you're not allowed to buy shotgun cartridges with just an FAC :oops:
saddler

#17 Post by saddler »

CDM5 wrote:Now I'd like to take part in practical shotgun but you're not allowed to buy shotgun cartridges with just an FAC :oops:
Says who? Not the law for one...

I never had a S.G.C. for years, just had F..A.C. shotguns. Bought cartridges by showing my F.A.C. with the 12-bores listed on it.

Proof of ownership of a shotgun on F.A.C. IS legal authorisation to purchase cartridges from an RFD. I did this for years...some RFD's know the law well, others do not. ANY that cause a problem, either print off the relevant pages of the Act, tell them to phone the Firearms Dept or take your business to those that know what they are doing...as the signs in the Zoo say "Don't feed the animals" kukkuk
(Same as my #1 rule: if an RFD sells "bullet heads" I make a mental note to donate my hard earned pennies elsewhere)

Practical shotgun cartridges such as slug are Section 1 F.A.C. items anyway.
Buckshot is section 2 - but good luck finding a stockist.
Bird-shot - easy to buy but some extra restrictions may bump up the price (i.e. Carlisle range insists on felt-wad only)

My 0.02c idea - load your own S.1 ammo & buckshot
Makes it a LOT cheaper for a start AND the supply & demand problems are minimised by doing so.
ovenpaa

#18 Post by ovenpaa »

I was under the impression you would need the necessary variation on your FAC to hold Shotgun slug/solid cartridges. I had better check that..
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
saddler

#19 Post by saddler »

ovenpaa wrote:I was under the impression you would need the necessary variation on your FAC to hold Shotgun slug/solid cartridges.
Correct - Section 1 slug ammo falls under normal FAC permissions & limits

I think the original problem was that CDM5 was wanting to buy normal bird-shot/buck-shot Section 2 cartridges without holding a SGC.
If he has a shotgun on FAC then he'd be allowed to do so
No Section 1 shotgun (or permission on FAC for one) would mean that he'd not be allowed to buy normal (Section 2) shotgun cartridges
SevenSixTwo

#20 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Decided on a Spikes .223 AR with a dedicated .22LR upper in the end - that should cover a few bases. Thanks all. :)