Does anyone know where I can find a Remington 700P .308?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

OpenFerret

Does anyone know where I can find a Remington 700P .308?

#1 Post by OpenFerret »

Hi there folks,

Does anyone know of any sellers in the UK who stock the Remington 700P (formerly PSS) in .308 calibre in the UK?

Many thanks in advance.
saddler

Re: Does anyone know where I can find a Remington 700P .308?

#2 Post by saddler »

Google-Fu weak, grasshopper??
Guntrader results below - have a look on Gunstar too...

AVOID ANY that have 1/2"UNF threading on them...better to get one unthreaded & then get the widest thread you can to leave more meat on the barrel.
The LTR version is worth a look at too - more or less the same as the PSS but with a 20" fluted barrel
I've got both (neither in 308: PSS in .223 & LTR in 6.8) & they're both tack drivers

I have links on how to tune the trigger yourself too

£POA
http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sal ... 4101742001

£945 S/H
http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sal ... 4123012001

£1075.00 NEW
http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sal ... 3115104001

£1,250 NEW
http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sal ... 3155146001

£1,299 NEW (LTR VERSION)
http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sal ... 4154931001

It's a buyers market - HAGGLE - try to stick to say £800 or £850. Use the money you save toward a GOOD scope.
The AI mag conversion is worth doing too
OpenFerret

#3 Post by OpenFerret »

Many thanks for the epically quick reply.

Can I ask what the difference is between the Remington 700P and the SPS Varmint? Is it just the stock or does anything else justify the higher price.

I'm currently planning to build a rifle based from the Remington 700 system with a 26'' barrel and replace the stock with an AICS stock and then use the rest of my pennies to fit with a decent bipod, sight mount and optics.

Any other constructive thoughts greatly received.
saddler

#4 Post by saddler »

OpenFerret wrote:Many thanks for the epically quick reply.

Can I ask what the difference is between the Remington 700P and the SPS Varmint? Is it just the stock or does anything else justify the higher price.

I'm currently planning to build a rifle based from the Remington 700 system with a 26'' barrel and replace the stock with an AICS stock and then use the rest of my pennies to fit with a decent bipod, sight mount and optics.

Any other constructive thoughts greatly received.
The ONLY difference IS the stock - in 308 at least
(PM me for info on this)

If the above are your plans (AI stock) than get the SPS, bin the junk stock that is fitted with & fit the AI job
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#5 Post by 20series »

If you are looking at going down this route, talk to Roger at South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies

http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/remington700.html

I went along a similar route as you're describing and ended up spending lots of money. If you can you'll save money in the long run by getting one of Rogers set ups.

With regards to the AICS stocks of its the old one then try one before you buy, the thumbhole grip doesnt suit a lot of people due to being quite small and difficult to get your finger comfortably on the trigger. The new AX systems is better.

HTH
Alan

PS put a Hello post in the newbies section, nice way to introduce yourself but welcome to the forum anyway :goodjob:
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
OpenFerret

#6 Post by OpenFerret »

Many thanks again. Tried to PM you but can't find such on option on the site.

I've done some better research on google this time, and I can see why the stock on the Police variant can offer better accuracy (free floating barrel, better bedding, etc).

My last query:

I'm looking to build a rifle for target shooting, starting small and short, then working out to the calibre's theoretical max range (1000m) with practice. I'm hoping to build something that is capable of better than 1/2 MOA accuracy. Don't get me wrong, I'm no where near skilled enough at the moment to pull off such groupings, even at 100m... But I'd like to work towards it.

Am I going down the right path, or should I just continue saving to go straight to Accuracy International and get something that can perform the above straight out of the box?

PS Many thanks Alan, I will head to the newbies section immediately.
ovenpaa

#7 Post by ovenpaa »

The Viking has upped the user post count to 30 posts before you can send or receive PM's or post in the for Sale and Wanted section, mostly because people were throwing in 5 meaningless posts and then posting adverts, never to be seen again.

Welcome :good:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
tackb

#8 Post by tackb »

OpenFerret wrote:Many thanks again. Tried to PM you but can't find such on option on the site.

I've done some better research on google this time, and I can see why the stock on the Police variant can offer better accuracy (free floating barrel, better bedding, etc).

My last query:

I'm looking to build a rifle for target shooting, starting small and short, then working out to the calibre's theoretical max range (1000m) with practice. I'm hoping to build something that is capable of better than 1/2 MOA accuracy. Don't get me wrong, I'm no where near skilled enough at the moment to pull off such groupings, even at 100m... But I'd like to work towards it.

Am I going down the right path, or should I just continue saving to go straight to Accuracy International and get something that can perform the above straight out of the box?

PS Many thanks Alan, I will head to the newbies section immediately.
Buy a rem 700 (great starter rifle and massively tuneable ) then get some rounds downrange and practice , much more use to start with than all the latest Gucci kit !
OpenFerret

#9 Post by OpenFerret »

Many thanks for the advice tackb. Will update again when I have finished.

Rob
Mr_Logic

#10 Post by Mr_Logic »

Yes, get the Remington.

However, you might also want to look at the SPS Tactical. It only has a 20" barrel and hogue stock, but my old one in 223 shot like a dream. It's SPS Varmint money.

You'll need to rebarrel and sort the action anyway to do anything serious at 1K, and it'll shoot 600 without any worries anyway in the meantime.