Rifle or Shotgun?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

CDM5
Home club or Range: Tidworth RPC & Bisley

Re: Rifle or Shotgun?

#21 Post by CDM5 »

saddler wrote:
ovenpaa wrote:I was under the impression you would need the necessary variation on your FAC to hold Shotgun slug/solid cartridges.
Correct - Section 1 slug ammo falls under normal FAC permissions & limits

I think the original problem was that CDM5 was wanting to buy normal bird-shot/buck-shot Section 2 cartridges without holding a SGC.
If he has a shotgun on FAC then he'd be allowed to do so
No Section 1 shotgun (or permission on FAC for one) would mean that he'd not be allowed to buy normal (Section 2) shotgun cartridges
Thanks, I asked a member at my club who told me that I could only buy slugs for the S1 shotgun on my licence.
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#22 Post by Blackstuff »

saddler wrote: Proof of ownership of a shotgun on F.A.C. IS legal authorisation to purchase cartridges from an RFD. I did this for years...some RFD's know the law well, others do not. ANY that cause a problem, either print off the relevant pages of the Act, tell them to phone the Firearms Dept or take your business to those that know what they are doing...as the signs in the Zoo say "Don't feed the animals" kukkuk
Any idea what Bradford Stalkers position is on this? My SGC will be going in for renewal on Friday but i'll need to buy cartridges in the mean time. . . .

Might just put the same note on that i did with my FAC renewal - I'll give you the old certificate when you can give me the new one ;)
DVC
saddler

#23 Post by saddler »

CDM5 wrote:
saddler wrote:
ovenpaa wrote:I was under the impression you would need the necessary variation on your FAC to hold Shotgun slug/solid cartridges.
Correct - Section 1 slug ammo falls under normal FAC permissions & limits

I think the original problem was that CDM5 was wanting to buy normal bird-shot/buck-shot Section 2 cartridges without holding a SGC.
If he has a shotgun on FAC then he'd be allowed to do so
No Section 1 shotgun (or permission on FAC for one) would mean that he'd not be allowed to buy normal (Section 2) shotgun cartridges
Thanks, I asked a member at my club who told me that I could only buy slugs for the S1 shotgun on my licence.
Sounds like the sort of "advice" a member would give...
saddler

#24 Post by saddler »

Blackstuff wrote:
saddler wrote: Proof of ownership of a shotgun on F.A.C. IS legal authorisation to purchase cartridges from an RFD. I did this for years...some RFD's know the law well, others do not. ANY that cause a problem, either print off the relevant pages of the Act, tell them to phone the Firearms Dept or take your business to those that know what they are doing...as the signs in the Zoo say "Don't feed the animals" kukkuk
Any idea what Bradford Stalkers position is on this? My SGC will be going in for renewal on Friday but i'll need to buy cartridges in the mean time. . . .

Might just put the same note on that i did with my FAC renewal - I'll give you the old certificate when you can give me the new one ;)
From memory Bradford Stalkers were one of the shops I used to go to for S.2 ammo back when I only held FAC shotguns...don't think there'll be an issue with them selling you birdshot on showing an FAC with S.1 s/g's on it.

If they get funny p*ss on the counter & walk out clapclap
Make sure you get their reaction on video...
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#25 Post by Blackstuff »

I think you've 'gone native' living up there for so long Jon! :o :lol:
DVC