Two Tikka 308 rifles - M65 Supersporter and ultra rare M65A

Anything shooting related for sale, the management cannot accept any responsibility for the saleability of items in this section so take care please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All items for sale must have a fixed price please. No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed
No external sale links.
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Two Tikka 308 rifles - M65 Supersporter and ultra rare

#11 Post by Christel »

BTW...it is from 1987 and the barrel is 1:12.

Good stuff...:)
ovenpaa

#12 Post by ovenpaa »

It had a thorough strip and clean this afternoon which gave us the chance to check everything over, clean and tighten and copper strip the bore which was an interesting exercise as it gave me a chance to further test a new product set for release in the new year
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
ovenpaa

#13 Post by ovenpaa »

Arghh.... just realised this sounds really bad.

The rifle from T3M was in lovely condition. As the rifle is destined to go to the Viking the two of us stripped it down and gave it a thorough clean in the areas that never get looked at and checked it over so now she knows exactly how her rifle strips and goes together. I have always said whilst I am cleaning something I am looking at it and this rifle is in lovely condition. The M65A has a flat bottomed receiver sits on an aluminium bedding block with four rectangular spacers, one in each corner to ensure the receiver sits flat and is not stressed, they are notorious for filling up with gunk and grit over the years so a good wipe over with acetone and re-torqued means it is as it came out of the factory now.

It is a lovely rifle and I know she is looking forward to getting out on the range with it.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
tikkathreebarrels

#14 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

And I'm looking forward to hearing how Christel enjoys shooting it.

Happily, I am still TikkaTHREEbarrels
webb22

#15 Post by webb22 »

christel wrote:BTW...it is from 1987 and the barrel is 1:12.

Very nice C - how long is the barrel out of interest, if you are planning to use it for 1000yds?
atb
jon
'Windage & Elevation Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'
Christel
Site Admin

#16 Post by Christel »

webb22 wrote:
christel wrote:BTW...it is from 1987 and the barrel is 1:12.

Very nice C - how long is the barrel out of interest, if you are planning to use it for 1000yds?
atb
jon

24 inch, yup it will take some work :)
ovenpaa

#17 Post by ovenpaa »

24" will get a .308 to 1000 yards, even 1100 at a push, the real problems start if you want to push them to 1200. Given the 1:12 twist and European (ish) origin of the rifle I suspect a diet of 155 Scenars or maybe even 170 Lockbase with some N540 behind them should do the trick.
/d

Shed Journal
webb22

#18 Post by webb22 »

24" - blimey! i thought mine was short ;)
I've got a 26" 1:12 on my SSG and find that SMK 2156s (longer boat tail bullets) work very well out to 1000yds...for shorter distances 168gr are very effective as well, but start to 'tumble' after about 800yds... longer barrel would probably resolve this issue - maybe 28"+? but rebarelling a SSG is a bit of a pain and its more than adequate for my needs at the mo...a new 'more fitted' stock is what it really needs...love the M65A stock by the way! clapclap
i think 1000yds + for 24" maybe be pushing it, but i have haven't shot at that distance before, since I'm limited to the ranges at Bisley - so you're probably right sir!?! would be interested to see how you get on with it C?
atb
jon
'Windage & Elevation Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'
Christel
Site Admin

#19 Post by Christel »

I will most certainly keep this thread up to date once I have had her out, first time might be in Denmark at 600m.

The stock reminds me slightly of a Romak which I have a bit of a weakness for.

Long distance shooting with 24 inch is certainly obtainable. Ovenpaa shoots the S&L out to 1000y and his AI.
This is of course all in the spirit of "because I can" :lol:
ovenpaa

#20 Post by ovenpaa »

1000 yards for a .308/7,62x51 is certainly attainable and I have shot extensively with a 24" barrelled AI at this distance, in fact the rifle now has close to 10k rounds through it.

For me the issue is elevation as I shoot with a S&B PMII which only gives 13,1Mils of elevation which is OK on a warm day at 1200 but drop to a cold winters morning and I am around 0,7mils low on elevation....

I reckon on just over 2850fps with the 155's running Fed210M primers and N540 on an average day which puts me on the frame with 9,4Mils which is around 32MOA. I would expect Christel to run a slightly lighter load than this, probably around 2800fps.

I really like the 168 Laps for McQueen with a low 40's N140 load and they are fine out to 600m however I have never had much success beyond this distance, for me it is always Lapua 155's or 170's and I am back on the 170's for 2013.
/d

Shed Journal