Buying gun parts over the internet

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

tkd67

Re: Buying gun parts over the internet

#11 Post by tkd67 »

HALODIN wrote:I hadn't thought of Amazon, but that's probably a good place to buy from, because the seller has to cover all import/VAT/duty costs. If you get charged more, you just contact the seller and they will refund you. I was refunded by a Chinese tablet manufacturer almost instantly, I guess they value their relationship with amazon... The price it's advertised at is the price you will pay. I doubt you had any charges at $11.00 though... :grin:
I tried amazon in usa for a tatical rifle bag, but when proceeding to buy, in the end it would not let me. :bad: which confused me a little........But didnt know about vat/duty costs as stated above clapclap
John MH

#12 Post by John MH »

HALODIN wrote:I hadn't thought of Amazon, but that's probably a good place to buy from, because the seller has to cover all import/VAT/duty costs. If you get charged more, you just contact the seller and they will refund you. I was refunded by a Chinese tablet manufacturer almost instantly, I guess they value their relationship with amazon... The price it's advertised at is the price you will pay. I doubt you had any charges at $11.00 though... :grin:
The above does not seem to make sense, how can the seller know what the Duty and VAT are going to be until its arrived at your end and held at Customs Charges Sticker on it which the receiver has to pay.
tkd67

#13 Post by tkd67 »

John MH wrote:
The above does not seem to make sense, how can the seller know what the Duty and VAT are going to be until its arrived at your end and held at Customs Charges Sticker on it which the receiver has to pay.
Well just went online to try and order a tatical sling, wouldnt let me, wouldnt even let me buy and ship a 7" galaxy tab :bad: As always every thing twice expensive here ****
HALODIN

#14 Post by HALODIN »

This was an e-mail I sent to the seller having spoken with Amazon about VAT/Import duty. The Chinese seller reimbursed me for £20.83 the next day. I didn't expect it either...
Hello,

I was charged £20.83 Import DUTY/VAT by UPS before they would deliver my Cube tablet. I have been in contact with Amazon and they advised your company should reimburse me for this cost and they refer to the "Participation Agreement terms and conditions". I have quoted them directly below.

"If the third party seller dispatches the item from outside EU, our Participation Agreement terms state that the seller must pay all customs charges. This is stipulated in our participation agreement which is located at the below link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/custome ... Id=3216781

Participation agreement 2.1 Under the Service, items are offered by sellers for sale at a fixed price ("Fixed Price Sales"). Unless otherwise agreed by us with the seller in advance in writing, the price of any items sold using the Service (including the applicable delivery charge) are displayed inclusive of any customs, import, export, and excise duty, VAT and other taxes which may be applicable and sellers may not charge or seek to charge the buyer, or allow the buyer to be charged, for any customs, import, export, and excise duty, VAT or other taxes which are additional to the price displayed for the item on the Site.

In this case, you should contact the seller quoting the above to resolve the matter quoting the participation agreement."

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Regards,

Craig.
HALODIN

#15 Post by HALODIN »

I suppose just because a product is visible on amazon's site and it looks like you can order it, doesn't mean the seller ships internationally or at least to the UK. It's probably worth finding a seller that states they're happy to do so.
tkd67 wrote:Well just went online to try and order a tatical sling, wouldnt let me, wouldnt even let me buy and ship a 7" galaxy tab :bad: As always every thing twice expensive here ****
John MH

#16 Post by John MH »

HALODIN wrote:This was an e-mail I sent to the seller having spoken with Amazon about VAT/Import duty. The Chinese seller reimbursed me for £20.83 the next day. I didn't expect it either...
Hello,

I was charged £20.83 Import DUTY/VAT by UPS before they would deliver my Cube tablet. I have been in contact with Amazon and they advised your company should reimburse me for this cost and they refer to the "Participation Agreement terms and conditions". I have quoted them directly below.

"If the third party seller dispatches the item from outside EU, our Participation Agreement terms state that the seller must pay all customs charges. This is stipulated in our participation agreement which is located at the below link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/custome ... Id=3216781

Participation agreement 2.1 Under the Service, items are offered by sellers for sale at a fixed price ("Fixed Price Sales"). Unless otherwise agreed by us with the seller in advance in writing, the price of any items sold using the Service (including the applicable delivery charge) are displayed inclusive of any customs, import, export, and excise duty, VAT and other taxes which may be applicable and sellers may not charge or seek to charge the buyer, or allow the buyer to be charged, for any customs, import, export, and excise duty, VAT or other taxes which are additional to the price displayed for the item on the Site.

In this case, you should contact the seller quoting the above to resolve the matter quoting the participation agreement."

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Regards,

Craig.
Very surprising but it looks like it applies to only certain types of sale, best of luck with any purchases from abroad I dont buy anything that originates in China or Hong Kong as its usually a knock-off.
HALODIN

#17 Post by HALODIN »

I've just taken a look and the forbidden items include "4.5 Firearms and ammunition;", but I don't think the parts we're discussing come under that banner.

No I don't either (normally) but we should be able to buy from the US OK...
John MH wrote:Very surprising but it looks like it applies to only certain types of sale, best of luck with any purchases from abroad I dont buy anything that originates in China or Hong Kong as its usually a knock-off.
David-mauser

#18 Post by David-mauser »

Well guys, this is what I bought;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FAB-UAS-500-Tac ... 476&sr=8-1

I had no trouble buying it, in fact I did a ‘one click’ purchase. If you look at the reviews you will see that there is only 1 and that it was me that did it (virtually the same username as here). When I ordered it the info given (which I can’t retrieve now) was that it was coming from a company in California and would take about a month, but it only took 7 days and came from Israel.

In early December I also bought a Mauser cleaning rod and a sight hood from a company in New York. The sight hood was marked on the declaration as a “Metal clip” $3.00 (actual price $8.99) and due to the rod being out of stock it was sent a week later in a package marked “steel rod” $3.00 (actual price $8.99 also)!

Just goes to show, “where there is a will there’s a way” clapclap

Dave :flag5: :wales:
HALODIN

#19 Post by HALODIN »

I'll definitely try quoting the participant agreement once my FAC comes through. bangbang
HALODIN

#20 Post by HALODIN »

As if by chance my father leaves for Florida tomorrow morning and I'm tempted to ask him to pick up an optic for me...