Quizzed on applying for SGC when also applying for S1 on FAC

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

BaconButty

Quizzed on applying for SGC when also applying for S1 on FAC

#1 Post by BaconButty »

Just heard about someone getting asked for some indepth reasons why he's applied for his SGC, when he also has S1 shot on his FAC app. Along the lines of "why apply for SGC when FAC covers it?"

In tht situation what would your answers be?
TJC

Re: Quizzed on applying for SGC when also applying for S1 on

#2 Post by TJC »

Sporting clays vs Practical shotgun. Different disciplines and different tools needed for each.
Mikaveli

#3 Post by Mikaveli »

TJC wrote:Sporting clays vs Practical shotgun. Different disciplines and different tools needed for each.
Exactly, an O/U or SBS is useless for PSG, and a SPAS 12 isn't welcome at most rough shoots or clay grounds!
Dave 101

#4 Post by Dave 101 »

I thought SGC was section 2 and FAC section 1 , so if you have section 1 and you want to buy a shotgun you need to have section 2 certificate , therefore an FAC doesnt entitle you to purchase shotguns which fall into a section 2 classification .

Dave
techguy

#5 Post by techguy »

On a related note, I got quizzed more about applying for my SGC than I did when I applied for my FAC later in the year..
Mikaveli

#6 Post by Mikaveli »

Dave 101 wrote:I thought SGC was section 2 and FAC section 1 , so if you have section 1 and you want to buy a shotgun you need to have section 2 certificate , therefore an FAC doesnt entitle you to purchase shotguns which fall into a section 2 classification .

Dave
This is true - you don't get any 'grandfather' rights. You could buy a drop-mag Saiga 12 with an S1 shotgun slot, but not a puny .410 single barrel.

You couldn't even buy a restricted (2+1) semi to get it converted. For the sake of £2 per year, I don't know why anyone wouldn't automatically apply for a co-terminous licence when they get their FAC?
M99

#7 Post by M99 »

Because you cannot legally shoot game with a sect 1 shotgun.

I doubt to be honest that this is true, just another urban myth.

Mike
Dave 101

#8 Post by Dave 101 »

Also some clay grounds wont alow section 1 shotgun to be used because they are not covered for it under their conditions of use .

Dave
John25

#9 Post by John25 »

My answer would be:-

I shoot competively, more than one discipline, a different tool is required for each, I have therefore satisfied in full the 'good reason' requirement in law. Nothing else is required of me by any Act of Parliament.
Mikaveli

#10 Post by Mikaveli »

John25 wrote:My answer would be:-

I shoot competively, more than one discipline, a different tool is required for each, I have therefore satisfied in full the 'good reason' requirement in law. Nothing else is required of me by any Act of Parliament.
Strictly speaking, you only have to demonstrate a 'good reason' for the S1 shotgun. You don't (legally) have to justify an S2 application - though it's best to be helpful and honest with your FEO.