6.5x55 steyr pro hunter 2

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

JS569

6.5x55 steyr pro hunter 2

#1 Post by JS569 »

Hi All

I thought it might be worth getting everyone's collective thoughts on this. I am wanting to get into shooting deer, having permission nearby for Roe and potentially contacts up in the borders. Usually I shoot military rifles, .303's, 308's, 5.56 and so forth but I want to get something suitable for deer. Having shot many .308's, its an option (it can also be easily used on ranges due to many ammo options) but many people have reccomended 6.5x55, and having shot this calibre is is quite pleasant and so I've read a very accurate round.

Browsing guntrader I spotted this little filly, http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sal ... 4151433286, it doesn't look like a bad deal to me, the S&B scope (which the current owner bought new), mod and harris bipod make it (IMO) quite a well priced gun/ set up. The owner is the second owner and say's its had about 800rds in total through it and mainly used for hunting and is in good condition.

I have some thoughts about it and it would be good to hear what everyone thinks:
1. Is 6.5x55 a sensible choice?
2. I've read flex on the fore end can affect accuracy but this seems to be limited to the original pro hunters not the mk2, any more info on that?
3. I've shot steyrs before and really liked them, but is this a good choice for someone starting out, is it priced well?
4.Any more questions I should ask the seller (I've included his reply below)
5. Finally so I have a rifle that is more useful on a range as well as deer (which is my primary reason for another rifle), would I be better looking towards an SSG69 etc?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance guys.
shugie
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Re: 6.5x55 steyr pro hunter 2

#2 Post by shugie »

JS569 wrote:Hi All

I thought it might be worth getting everyone's collective thoughts on this. I am wanting to get into shooting deer, having permission nearby for Roe and potentially contacts up in the borders. Usually I shoot military rifles, .303's, 308's, 5.56 and so forth but I want to get something suitable for deer. Having shot many .308's, its an option (it can also be easily used on ranges due to many ammo options) but many people have reccomended 6.5x55, and having shot this calibre is is quite pleasant and so I've read a very accurate round.

Browsing guntrader I spotted this little filly, http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sal ... 4151433286, it doesn't look like a bad deal to me, the S&B scope (which the current owner bought new), mod and harris bipod make it (IMO) quite a well priced gun/ set up. The owner is the second owner and say's its had about 800rds in total through it and mainly used for hunting and is in good condition.

I have some thoughts about it and it would be good to hear what everyone thinks:
1. Is 6.5x55 a sensible choice?
2. I've read flex on the fore end can affect accuracy but this seems to be limited to the original pro hunters not the mk2, any more info on that?
3. I've shot steyrs before and really liked them, but is this a good choice for someone starting out, is it priced well?
4.Any more questions I should ask the seller (I've included his reply below)
5. Finally so I have a rifle that is more useful on a range as well as deer (which is my primary reason for another rifle), would I be better looking towards an SSG69 etc?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance guys.
I'm selling a Pro Hunter in .308, not because I don't think it's a good rifle, but because the Swing that I bought soon after is much more suited to what I want to do. The price on that setup looks good, although I'd want a bit more magnification myself. The fore end flex is still present on the mk.2 but I did a comparison using a harris clone and resting the gun just in front of the magazine, and I didn't seem much difference at 200 yds. If you put a bit of paper between the barrel and the fore-end, you can see that the paper can move freely until you rest the gun on its bipod, when the paper is trapped. But mine is a heavy barrel, so might be worse in this respect. The heavy barrel can shoot McQueens without getting that warm, but might be a bit heavy to go hunting if a lot of walking is involved.
The engineering quality is impressive though, better than my Tikka, and the black spiral pattern barrel on mine looks very tacticool.
Careful now/that sort of thing
JS569

Re: 6.5x55 steyr pro hunter 2

#3 Post by JS569 »

I’ve just toted all the kit up new and it would all be coming in at £1,905 and that is without rings/mounts. It looks like the Mk2 pro hunter doesn’t suffer as bad from the same problems as the Mk1 and the previous owner also had the fore end devcon(?) filled by Greenfields of Salisbury. He’s getting it to shoot 1moa at 100yds so it sounds like it’s a good bet to me!