Gunsafe Fixings

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

slate

Gunsafe Fixings

#1 Post by slate »

Looks like my safe may have to stay on the second floor, as it's too heavy to get into the loft...

I know I'll have to remove a bit of skirting board to get it to fit flush with the wall. Question is, do I also need to remove a bit of carpet, or is it ok on carpet as long as it's hard into the (external) wall with all six fixings...?

Other problem is that it will be visible from an upstairs window.....
ovenpaa

Re: Gunsafe Fixings

#2 Post by ovenpaa »

A piece of 20,0mm plywood makes a good packer to place between the carpet and cabinet, however beware, the wall and floor may not be square to each other. Your FEO will not be keen on it being visible even though it is upstairs, if it is overlooked by other houses consider concealing it even if it is only with net curtains for the visit or move a wardrobe to conceal it.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
knewmans

#3 Post by knewmans »

My FEO was quite happy with it flush on a brick wall above the skirting board; just the back fixings. I also put a digital safe on top for ammo which is bolted to the wall and gun cabinet. Eight wall bolts in total; 4 in cabinet and 4 in safe. Its also out of sight (inside a cupboard) which seemed to be his big concern once he was happy it was secure.
ovenpaa

#4 Post by ovenpaa »

We also bolt our cabinets together as well as to the wall and floor.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
slate

#5 Post by slate »

Thanks for that, it appears that "out of sight" is a bigger issue than I thought. I may dismantle the loft ladder and squeeze it through that hatch after all....

Ta.