Depression and FAC

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

dragonkid

Depression and FAC

#1 Post by dragonkid »

I suffer from Severe Depression, and is registered disabled. Will I have problem getting a FAC? I have read some where that some people who suffered from Stroke can't get FAC. So I am wondering will I have a problem, too?

:cry:
tackb

Re: Depression and FAC

#2 Post by tackb »

depression is a serpent of many faces ! there is no definitive answer so i would speak to your gp and feo and go from there?
The Cupcake Kid

#3 Post by The Cupcake Kid »

I think IainWR may be able to give advice on this. You could try PM'ing him.
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#4 Post by meles meles »

Hmmm, we recall the words of Auden:

"One should not give a poisoner medicine,
A conjurer fine apparatus, nor
A rifle to a melancholic bore."

We suspect that it very much depends upon the circumstances, but if someone is likely to be a risk to themselves perchance 'tis best to err on the side of caution ?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
judders

#5 Post by judders »

That will be down to your GP and your FEO, but if it's so severe that you're registered disabled, I'd have thought it may be a bit tricky, for obvious reasons. Speak to your FEO and they'll give guidance based on your particular situation.
dragonkid

#6 Post by dragonkid »

judders wrote:That will be down to your GP and your FEO, but if it's so severe that you're registered disabled, I'd have thought it may be a bit tricky, for obvious reasons. Speak to your FEO and they'll give guidance based on your particular situation.
Thanks sign92
Mezzer

#7 Post by Mezzer »

dragonkid wrote:I suffer from Severe Depression, and is registered disabled. Will I have problem getting a FAC? I have read some where that some people who suffered from Stroke can't get FAC. So I am wondering will I have a problem, too?

:cry:
Dragonkid;

Some good advice offered so far on the forum and some of it very delicately and diplomatically put :good:
However, I would venture to suggest that placing a firearm legally within reach of someone who is suffering from severe depression would leave the Police wide open to all kinds of litigation etc and I for one just cannot see it happening. This is not to say that you could not be granted an FAC in the future if medical opinion indicated that your depression had either improved or disappeared.
Are you a member of a shooting - related club at the moment and if so, how much firearms hands-on time do you have within that environment? There is no need to answer if you feel uncomfortable with the question.

Regards ... Mezzer
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#8 Post by IainWR »

Hi Dragonkid

As was posted above, by all means PM me on this, or if you are an NRA member drop in the office or give me a call - 01483 797777 x 154.

I'm afraid that experience reinforces Mezzer's view. The police have discretion on this, and have been caught out in at least one of the recent mass shootings. Some forces will simply not consider you if there is any mention of depression, others are more accommodating, but a diagnosis of severe depression is likely to be terminal as regards a FAC. FWIW, one of the major issues is that temporarily failing to take prescribed medication for depression can be seriously destabilising (I am told by those with much greater expertise than me) and thus there is a real risk associated with anyone who is controlling depression with medication, even if the medication when taken as prescribed has an entirely successful effect.

I think it is likely that you will have to address the medical issues and any underlying causes first, and approach ownership of licensed firearms after. But there is no harm in opening a discussion with the FEO if only to see where you need to get to before the police will give you serious consideration. If your application is ever going to succeed, you are going to have to give them the full detail of your medical history anyway, so nothing lost by giving an outline now. Not least, such an approach shows that you are open and honest about the issues, and that counts for a lot.

Iain
NRA Firearms Liaison Officer
dragonkid

#9 Post by dragonkid »

IainWR wrote:Hi Dragonkid

As was posted above, by all means PM me on this, or if you are an NRA member drop in the office or give me a call - 01483 797777 x 154.

I'm afraid that experience reinforces Mezzer's view. The police have discretion on this, and have been caught out in at least one of the recent mass shootings. Some forces will simply not consider you if there is any mention of depression, others are more accommodating, but a diagnosis of severe depression is likely to be terminal as regards a FAC. FWIW, one of the major issues is that temporarily failing to take prescribed medication for depression can be seriously destabilising (I am told by those with much greater expertise than me) and thus there is a real risk associated with anyone who is controlling depression with medication, even if the medication when taken as prescribed has an entirely successful effect.

I think it is likely that you will have to address the medical issues and any underlying causes first, and approach ownership of licensed firearms after. But there is no harm in opening a discussion with the FEO if only to see where you need to get to before the police will give you serious consideration. If your application is ever going to succeed, you are going to have to give them the full detail of your medical history anyway, so nothing lost by giving an outline now. Not least, such an approach shows that you are open and honest about the issues, and that counts for a lot.

Iain
Thank you, I think I will try to apply once my condition get better. Thanks to every one who replied. Cheers sign92
Mezzer

#10 Post by Mezzer »

dragonkid wrote:
IainWR wrote:Hi Dragonkid

Iain
Thank you, I think I will try to apply once my condition get better. Thanks to every one who replied. Cheers sign92
Hey Dragonkid (great screen name :good: )

Don't let this get you down buddy. There is no reason why you cannot enjoy your shooting within the controlled environment of your local club and there are ample opportunities / challenges for self-improvement there alone.
Let's face it ... every one of us could do with bumping our scores up and it takes a lot of time and focus in order to achieve this ... all of which may help you overcome your condition. In addition, clubs are always looking for volunteers to assist in projects etc and this is an area where everyone, no matter how physically able they are can contribute. I know it's easy for me to say but keep yourself busy, focused and if nothing else ... stay positive!

If ever you need to talk to someone - just pm me okay.

Mezzer