Help me pick my first two rifles

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

sconie

Re: Help me pick my first two rifles

#11 Post by sconie »

Very good ;) , I am very safe with firearms and I wrote our airside firearm instruction, as some staff had zero hours with firearms previous to joining. My six scoped cabinet has arrived and the FLO is coming on Tuesday to advise on fixing location, I will hopefully get my variation in within the next month and by then I should have been able to plan out which rifles to buy first.

Thanks again.
HALODIN

#12 Post by HALODIN »

Don't worry about that for a second. The only issue is it might cost you some ammo as everyone will want to have a go! :grin:
sconie wrote:I do like military rifles myself but I'm concerned that some may not look at these as proper range rifles, I need to brush up on my firearm etiquette. LOL
sconie

#13 Post by sconie »

Thanks for the advice, I have added the Ruger 10/22 takedown to my list, the shortages of Marlin's means that I'll have to keep my eyes peeled. I was thinking of adding a 7.62 NATO to my variation and perhaps picking up a Parker Hale as they seem great value as an entry full bore.

I do fancy a VZ58 in .223 as they seem robust and reliable, but I a drawn to the AR platform in .223 due to the huge following and possible personalisation, a specd up VZ will come in at £1000, not sure what that would buy me if I had to buy an AR, any advice on this ?
JS569

#14 Post by JS569 »

sconie wrote:Thanks for the advice, I have added the Ruger 10/22 takedown to my list, the shortages of Marlin's means that I'll have to keep my eyes peeled. I was thinking of adding a 7.62 NATO to my variation and perhaps picking up a Parker Hale as they seem great value as an entry full bore.

I do fancy a VZ58 in .223 as they seem robust and reliable, but I a drawn to the AR platform in .223 due to the huge following and possible personalisation, a specd up VZ will come in at £1000, not sure what that would buy me if I had to buy an AR, any advice on this ?
In regards to the AR unless you could find a second hand one you might be looking at around the £1500 mark to start with a new one (check out guntrader or ask nicely on here in the wanted section as someone might have one or know of one someone wants to move one on). Best thing to do (assuming you want a new one) is to contact some of the main suppliers and see what they can offer you and or what takes your fancy.

I'd definitely suggest a side charging AR as opposed to the t-handle only option some suppliers might offer. As there are loads of customisational options take time choosing which bit's and pieces you want also think about what you use it for. For example I use my on the range and for foxes.
DanTheMan
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#15 Post by DanTheMan »

sconie wrote: a specd up VZ will come in at £1000, not sure what that would buy me if I had to buy an AR, any advice on this ?
Chuck in another £300 and you could get this slick SGC AR15 (or get it cheaper without the mod ?)
sconie

#16 Post by sconie »

That does like very nice, and if I had the variation on my cert I may well have pulled the trigger on it (so to speak) looks a good buy though.