HPBT legal for target shooting FAC.

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

paulbradley

HPBT legal for target shooting FAC.

#1 Post by paulbradley »

Hi. Bit of a newbie question. Can I use/hold/purchase HPBT ammo? I have no inclusion for expanding bullets on my FAC..
Dangermouse

Re: HPBT legal for target shooting FAC.

#2 Post by Dangermouse »

They are designed for target shooting, you can own them with no problems,

DM
paulbradley

#3 Post by paulbradley »

Thanks. My local RFD thought it may be dodgy.. To be fair he supplies mainly to rough shooters rather than the target community so he was not totally sure.
ovenpaa

#4 Post by ovenpaa »

HPBT such as Lapua Scenar and Sierra Match Kings are sold specifically for target shooting and are quite legal. The Hollow Point describes the tip of the bullet (Meplat) and is a result of the forming process of the bullet. Not to be confused with expanding bullets which may have a void at the front however the void will be much larger and the design is such that the bullet should mushroom upon impact.

If it is any consolation a force near me confiscated a couple of thousand SMKs however they returned them very quickly.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
paulbradley

#5 Post by paulbradley »

Thanks. I love the Prvi HPBT in .223 for economical practice rounds so this is good news...
rox

#6 Post by rox »

paulbradley wrote:Thanks. My local RFD thought it may be dodgy.. To be fair he supplies mainly to rough shooters rather than the target community so he was not totally sure.
They are explicitly mentioned in the 2012/2013 guidance to avoid confusion and exclude them from the definition of expanding ammunition. If anyone has any doubts point them at chapter 3.21 before the rumour-mill generates something like the recent A-Max nonsense.

"but care must be taken to distinguish between match target hollow point ammunition, which has a tiny hole at the front for manufacturing purposes, and true hollow point. Match hollow point rounds which are not designed to expand upon impact, such as the Sierra Match King and the Hornady A-Max, are not prohibited."

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... pdf#page=4

paulbradley

#7 Post by paulbradley »

Excellent info...
whoowhoop

#8 Post by whoowhoop »

I believe it stands for "High Performance Boat Tail"
judders

#9 Post by judders »

whoowhoop wrote:I believe it stands for "High Performance Boat Tail"
I always thought it was Hollow Point Boat Tail. Which made perfect sense to me.
Steve E

#10 Post by Steve E »

whoowhoop wrote:I believe it stands for "High Performance Boat Tail"
You are wrong