help finding a scope...

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Maggot

Re: help finding a scope...

#11 Post by Maggot »

shugie wrote:Been very pleased with the two Sightron scopes I have, might yet buy another if I keep my Steyr, which currently has a Hawke on it. It's not a bad scope, but the Sightrons are both much clearer.
Oddly....

When I was hunting a lot with air rifles I used to love the hawk ballistic ret (SR6 etc).

But every one I had got some sort of mould growing on the insides.

Nothing wrong with the storage either, I guess they were just not assembled in too clean an environment.

To their credit Deben swapped them without question but I passed them on eventually.
The Gun Pimp

#12 Post by The Gun Pimp »

phaedra1106 wrote:Only slight niggle I have with my SIII 8-32 is chromatic aberration. There can be a slight yellow/purple fringing on vertical and horizontal straight lines under very strong sunlight. It's a known problem but not enough of a one to stop me buying another next visit to the US.
Most scopes - and optics - suffer from chromatic aberration or 'fringing'. I recently checked out a pair of massive Japanese binoculars costing well over a grand - the image was superb but chromatic aberration in the form of a purple fringing was horrendous.

Chromatic aberration when viewing high-contrast subjects is one of the things we have to live with unless you want to splash out for fluoride glass - but, as long as it doesn't degrade the image it's not a problem with rifle scopes.
Maggot

#13 Post by Maggot »

The Gun Pimp wrote:
phaedra1106 wrote:Only slight niggle I have with my SIII 8-32 is chromatic aberration. There can be a slight yellow/purple fringing on vertical and horizontal straight lines under very strong sunlight. It's a known problem but not enough of a one to stop me buying another next visit to the US.
Most scopes - and optics - suffer from chromatic aberration or 'fringing'. I recently checked out a pair of massive Japanese binoculars costing well over a grand - the image was superb but chromatic aberration in the form of a purple fringing was horrendous.

Chromatic aberration when viewing high-contrast subjects is one of the things we have to live with unless you want to splash out for fluoride glass - but, as long as it doesn't degrade the image it's not a problem with rifle scopes.
Usually where there is high contast, twigs aginst sky, black and white targets etc....Grrrr