Depression and FAC

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

dragonkid

Re: Depression and FAC

#11 Post by dragonkid »

Mezzer wrote: Hey Dragonkid (great screen name :good: )

Don't let this get you down buddy. There is no reason why you cannot enjoy your shooting within the controlled environment of your local club and there are ample opportunities / challenges for self-improvement there alone.
Let's face it ... every one of us could do with bumping our scores up and it takes a lot of time and focus in order to achieve this ... all of which may help you overcome your condition. In addition, clubs are always looking for volunteers to assist in projects etc and this is an area where everyone, no matter how physically able they are can contribute. I know it's easy for me to say but keep yourself busy, focused and if nothing else ... stay positive!

If ever you need to talk to someone - just pm me okay.

Mezzer
So what you are saying is that I can still shoot within my club, and just keep on using the clubs firearms until my condition get better, then apply for FAC? So I am allow to keep shooting as long as I am doing it within my club, or any other clubs. But I just can't buy my own gun until I can get my FAC?

So looking at it in the positive way. That's good in a way if that is the case. I can save money up for a few really good guns once I can get my FAC and at the mean time just hire the club's gun for now and keep on saving money. :good:
jmc67
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#12 Post by jmc67 »

I shot at Bisley as a member of the NRA for about 4 years using club guns before I went down the route of getting my FAC and my own guns, so should definitely be an option. Was great for trying out different disciplines to help me figure out what I wanted to do.
dragonkid

#13 Post by dragonkid »

jmc67 wrote:I shot at Bisley as a member of the NRA for about 4 years using club guns before I went down the route of getting my FAC and my own guns, so should definitely be an option. Was great for trying out different disciplines to help me figure out what I wanted to do.
That's good to hear. I am not as upset anymore. I was at first when I heard I can't get FAC. But it is not so bad after all. :good:
Mezzer

#14 Post by Mezzer »

dragonkid wrote:
Mezzer wrote: Hey Dragonkid (great screen name :good: )

Don't let this get you down buddy. There is no reason why you cannot enjoy your shooting within the controlled environment of your local club and there are ample opportunities / challenges for self-improvement there alone.
Let's face it ... every one of us could do with bumping our scores up and it takes a lot of time and focus in order to achieve this ... all of which may help you overcome your condition. In addition, clubs are always looking for volunteers to assist in projects etc and this is an area where everyone, no matter how physically able they are can contribute. I know it's easy for me to say but keep yourself busy, focused and if nothing else ... stay positive!

If ever you need to talk to someone - just pm me okay.

Mezzer
So what you are saying is that I can still shoot within my club, and just keep on using the clubs firearms until my condition get better, then apply for FAC? So I am allow to keep shooting as long as I am doing it within my club, or any other clubs. But I just can't buy my own gun until I can get my FAC?

So looking at it in the positive way. That's good in a way if that is the case. I can save money up for a few really good guns once I can get my FAC and at the mean time just hire the club's gun for now and keep on saving money. :good:
There you go clapclap

Always better to try out all the available club firearms first to see what suits YOU best. I'm sure that the members themselves will also be kind enough to let you try out their own personal rifles if you ask nicely. That is certainly how it works in our club.
Get yourself on that NRA Probationers course as well. You'll increase your knowledge base significantly and shoot a lot better for doing it.

Mezzer
paxtond

#15 Post by paxtond »

I don't believe depression is a real illness, more a state of mind.

I was feeling rely down a couple of years ago after a split from a ex partner.
Doctors are quick to prescribe pills and medication but it was good friends and enjoyable pass times that made me feels better.

Enjoy shooting at the club make some good friends down there, I find shooting is a nice break from the grind of life and possibly when I'm happiest.

I'm sure your feel better soon, and when you do get that application in.

If your clubs like mine, members are fighting over newbies to make friends with, my first bisley shoot I must have shot about 9 different rifles and not a single person would take a penny for the ammo I used, I don't think I've ever been welcomed to a sport in such a way
tackb

#16 Post by tackb »

paxtond wrote:I don't believe depression is a real illness, more a state of mind.

I was feeling rely down a couple of years ago after a split from a ex partner.
Doctors are quick to prescribe pills and medication but it was good friends and enjoyable pass times that made me feels better.

Enjoy shooting at the club make some good friends down there, I find shooting is a nice break from the grind of life and possibly when I'm happiest.

I'm sure your feel better soon, and when you do get that application in.

If your clubs like mine, members are fighting over newbies to make friends with, my first bisley shoot I must have shot about 9 different rifles and not a single person would take a penny for the ammo I used, I don't think I've ever been welcomed to a sport in such a way
Sorry mate but depression is a real illness not just a state of mind , having had a partner that suffered from it I can tell you it is a truly dreadful illness.
dragonkid

#17 Post by dragonkid »

paxtond: Thanks for the encouragement. So it is not so bad to be a new member of a club. sign92

tackb: You are right it is really an illness. I am not in any mood to eat, sleep or do anything. I actually sleep 4 times a day. And I also have nightmare every time I go to sleep. This is a bit private, but I don't even have any mood to touch my wife.

But luckily I have 2 ferrets which seems to help me smile sometimes. Because they are just so adorable. :lol:
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#18 Post by meles meles »

Yes, we mustelids are adorable aren't we ?

Now, get out there on the protest lines...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
DannyT

#19 Post by DannyT »

dragonkid wrote:paxtond: Thanks for the encouragement. So it is not so bad to be a new member of a club. sign92

tackb: You are right it is really an illness. I am not in any mood to eat, sleep or do anything. I actually sleep 4 times a day. And I also have nightmare every time I go to sleep. This is a bit private, but I don't even have any mood to touch my wife.

But luckily I have 2 ferrets which seems to help me smile sometimes. Because they are just so adorable. :lol:
I admire your strength in being able to admit you have this disease and the balls to openly talk about it, I imagine that there are hundreds of people suffering who aren't able to find the courage to discuss it. Good luck.

Atb.