Remmy 700 Next Mod - Trigger?

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
User702

Remmy 700 Next Mod - Trigger?

#1 Post by User702 »

I'm happy with my rifle. It shoots well enough and I expect to be able to shoot a little better when I finally get my loads worked up and a sweet load developed. I even like the stock, despite it looking a bit Frankenstein with the added cheek piece and extra inch of padding at the back to suit my arms.

However, I am very aware that the stock Remington trigger is a pretty heavy beast and have noticed that it makes me think during the shot process. I don't like that wait, the "will it fire?" moment and the heavy pull, so I want to replace it with something lighter, crispper and shorter.

Short of heading west and picking something up from Brownells or Cabelas next time I am in the US, what can people recommend to improve on the stock Remington trigger? Also, how much of a job is a trigger to replace? Youtube makes it look easy...
ovenpaa

Re: Remmy 700 Next Mod - Trigger?

#2 Post by ovenpaa »

Timney and Rifle Basix are readily available, Jewel are nice put not always easy to find and the flagship in my opinion is the C.G 2 stage.

Budget for anywhere from around GBP100 to GBP240. Fitting is easy enough, just take your time, read the instructions :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G

#3 Post by Sim G »

I've previously owned four Remingtons and only installed an after market trigger on one of them, which was a Rifle Basix. It was a very good trigger and probably the best value.

However, all three other Remingtons I adjusted the trigger myself. It's a piece of cake. The best instructions I ever found were here. Clear and concise. Use the money saved for more ammo!!

http://www.quarterbore.com/library/arti ... igger.html
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
User702

#4 Post by User702 »

Sim,

I'm not sure that I can adjust the trigger on my particular version of 700. Mike357 may know differently, but I think it's the model that was crippled in that department.

***EDIT***

FSCK ME!!! Just seen the price of the Rifle Basix trigger on MidwayUK... Holy arse-weeping gods! Compared to the cost of one in the States, that's a lot of markup. Move on James, move on.
User702

#5 Post by User702 »

Looks like Rimfiremagic stocks them (or at least advertises them) at a sensible price. Will drop them a line tomorrow and ask what they have in stock.
Chapuis

#6 Post by Chapuis »

MidwayUK are taking the mick with their prices on this one. I can't see it on their website but the sportsman gun centre had them on the shelf a little while ago and they were quite reasonable. Maybe worth giving them a ring?
saddler

#7 Post by saddler »

I have about 3 riflebasix triggers somewhere...

Want me to dig them out and work out a price?
Yogi GunKanobee

#8 Post by Yogi GunKanobee »

FWIW, I replaced the triggers on both my Remingtons with Timney triggers. They were about £100 each and made a huge difference.
User702

#9 Post by User702 »

Saddler, if you can find out what models they are I'd appreciate it.
Meaty

#10 Post by Meaty »

User702,
I have a Timney on my Win 70 from Rimfire Magic and it was a doddle to fit (just a small amount of inletting relief). Its worth giving them a call as the trigger I brought wasn't advertised on the web site and was a lot cheaper than anywhere else. Nice people to deal with as well.
Dry fire a good few times with a snap cap after you get your trigger job done so as you get used to it-you dont want one of those "fcku me, I hardly touched it!" moments on the range.