Rossi Underlver .38/.357 Loading Gate Issue

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Grinder

Rossi Underlver .38/.357 Loading Gate Issue

#1 Post by Grinder »

Hi all,

First day out today, with my Rossi. Extremely pleased with it 20" Barrel in Stainless Finish. However I am having a problem feeding through the Feed Gate, it appears that the round fed is being pushed back behind the gate making it impossible to feed the next round.

I say 'appears' as its hard to see what is going on exactly, Maybe it is something I am doing wrong or perhaps there is something mechanical not operating correctly.

Would be sincerely obliged if anyone has any experience with the same issue and maybe some pointers to go next.

Thanks in anticipation,

Matt.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Rossi Underlver .38/.357 Loading Gate Issue

#2 Post by dromia »

It would be as well to have it checked out by someone who knows about the Rossi's workings.

When I load an underlever I never push the cartridge fully in I always leave it sticking out a bit and then push it in with the next round and leave that sticking out and push in with the next round and so on till the last one which get pushed all the way in. This makes loading easier and would address your issue I suspect however it does not sort the problem though.

There are some good videos on the netty about stripping Rossi's and their little foibles so worth a search.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

I normally load my under lever the same way as Adam. I all ways leave the loaded cartridge slightly proud then just push the next one in behind it or I hold the gate down with my thumb until I have loaded ten rounds.
25Pdr

#4 Post by 25Pdr »

When the round is pushed into the magazine it is held by the cartridge stop No.20 on the diagram, check the small leaf spring No.22 behind it is not broken.

You should be able to change the spring without a strip down, don't know who does parts just now, sorry.

If you are going to strip the gun check out these pages.

http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html

Be warned though, it is a bugger to re assemble again. Keep in touch you may need a shoulder to cry on and possibly a large plastic bag to put the parts in when you give up, and decide to buy a Marlin.

Seriously!!!
Grinder

#5 Post by Grinder »

Thanks everyone for your input, I will take a closer look! Thank You!
shugie
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#6 Post by shugie »

25Pdr wrote:When the round is pushed into the magazine it is held by the cartridge stop No.20 on the diagram, check the small leaf spring No.22 behind it is not broken.

You should be able to change the spring without a strip down, don't know who does parts just now, sorry.

If you are going to strip the gun check out these pages.

http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html

Be warned though, it is a bugger to re assemble again. Keep in touch you may need a shoulder to cry on and possibly a large plastic bag to put the parts in when you give up, and decide to buy a Marlin.

Seriously!!!
A bit of practice helps, I can get mine apart in five minutes, and reassembled in not much more. The video guides are very helpful, as the Steves Gunz DVD, which shows how to improve the smoothness of the action.

Parts are very difficult to get in the UK, I got bits from mine shipped from Steve in Texas.
Careful now/that sort of thing
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#7 Post by dodgyrog »

I had a Rossi - I sold it after a couple of weeks and bought a Marlin.
I just couldn't get on with it!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Grinder

#8 Post by Grinder »

dodgyrog, I have to say I love it, I liked the Marlins at Bisley, but there is something meaty about a Rossi, the particular example I have has a lovely action, smooth and positive, I think I am am the problem with the loading TBH! Each to there own IMHO.

Thanks for your input though :-)

Shugie I will definitely have a go at a total strip but under supervision of one of our more seasoned(?) members! Mike R has a Rossi, if I'm nice to him he might give me some pointers!
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#9 Post by dodgyrog »

Grinder wrote:dodgyrog, I have to say I love it, I liked the Marlins at Bisley, but there is something meaty about a Rossi, the particular example I have has a lovely action, smooth and positive, I think I am am the problem with the loading TBH! Each to there own IMHO.

Thanks for your input though :-)

Shugie I will definitely have a go at a total strip but under supervision of one of our more seasoned(?) members! Mike R has a Rossi, if I'm nice to him he might give me some pointers!
Don't break anything - spares are like hen's teeth!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Demonic69

#10 Post by Demonic69 »

Are you loading with the lever open or closed? Some only like the lever open from what I've read.