Will I need to change the calibre on my FAC?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Whizzer

Will I need to change the calibre on my FAC?

#1 Post by Whizzer »

Hi on my FAC I have an open slot for .45 rifle, will this allow me to purchase a .45-70 rifle or would I need to get it changed so it specifically states .45-70? I know the FAC application form says you should put down calibre which I did when I first applied for my FAC but I have seen lots of people say that they would rather you put down the cartridge instead.

I was thinking of just asking an RFD if they would sell me one but thought I may as well check here first.
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: Will I need to change the calibre on my FAC?

#2 Post by Sandgroper »

Whizzer wrote:Hi on my FAC I have an open slot for .45 rifle, will this allow me to purchase a .45-70 rifle or would I need to get it changed so it specifically states .45-70? I know the FAC application form says you should put down calibre which I did when I first applied for my FAC but I have seen lots of people say that they would rather you put down the cartridge instead.

I was thinking of just asking an RFD if they would sell me one but thought I may as well check here first.
It depends on your Force. Grampian (now part of Police Scotland) didn't have a problem nor the RFD that signed the 45-70 onto my FAC. It's one of the reasons why I ask for a calibre and not a specific cartridge.

BTW My last variation I asked for and got 22 rimfire and 22 centrefire rather than having to specify a cartridge! ;)
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

As SG says...

Just sold a rifle to a person with 7.5 on the FAC, the rifle was a 7.5x55
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

IMO if you applied for a specific cartridge then i'd say your bound to that. If you applied for just a calibre, then imo you can buy whatever .45 rifle you want. The FLD should have made you apply for a specific cartridge (as mine did/does) during your variation/grant/renewal, if they didn't want you to have the freedom to get any .45
DVC
Whizzer

#5 Post by Whizzer »

Thanks for the replies, I should be ok then but I will double check with the RFD before making any special trips.
greenshoots

#6 Post by greenshoots »

i applied for a 44 cal and got a 444 marlin boy did i get a bollacking

greenshoots