NRA probationer

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: NRA probationer

#31 Post by dromia »

What club do you belong to?

Have you asked them for training and signed of, all my full bore clubs shooting on MoD ranges do that for their members free of charge.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
mackie

#32 Post by mackie »

I did the TR (aperture sights) training with my club but the club doesn't have any scoped rifles. That said, the theory is very similar so I'm confident I could pick it up quickly without the need for a full/half day training (being quoted £100s for this by NRA). As for target/practical shotgun, I'd like to get that on my ticket for future use but as yet am not involved in a club that does it.
Is there training material available online anywhere?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#33 Post by dromia »

So your club is TR only, then I would suggest that you join one that is more eclectic in its shooting.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
mackie

#34 Post by mackie »

Any suggestions? I like my current club (Welwyn Phoenix Rifle Club) but I would like to try some other disciplines as part of a club. I live in Herts but am happy to journey to Bisley on a regular basis.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#35 Post by kennyc »

BBS NRPC see posts on the airgun BBS site in Firearms, next date is 15th Dec however that is the AGM and a M'cQueens comp, normally we meet once a month
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#36 Post by Mattnall »

mackie wrote:I did the TR (aperture sights) training with my club but the club doesn't have any scoped rifles. That said, the theory is very similar so I'm confident I could pick it up quickly without the need for a full/half day training (being quoted £100s for this by NRA). As for target/practical shotgun, I'd like to get that on my ticket for future use but as yet am not involved in a club that does it.
Is there training material available online anywhere?
There are several clubs doing PSG and some of the more dynamic rifle disciplines. The NRA hold PSG/TSG and CSR matches as hosting the odd multi-gun match (2 and 3 gun).
As long as you are an NRA member of affiliated by your club you should be able to enter.
Take a look at F4i website (http://four4islands.org), they are the guys for PSG at the moment and are doing some very interesting things in that area. They shoot often at Shield and also help organise some of the the matches at Bisley.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
mackie

#37 Post by mackie »

Thanks. I just signed up with four4islands.
Alpha1

#38 Post by Alpha1 »

The NRA hold PSG/TSG and CSR matches
? No idea what you are talking about.
Blu

#39 Post by Blu »

Alpha1 wrote:
The NRA hold PSG/TSG and CSR matches
? No idea what you are talking about.
Every day's a school day. Just type it into your search engine and look it up. Wonderful thing this internet!

Blu
paulbradley

#40 Post by paulbradley »

I did an assessment with the NRA. 80 quid for iron sights, telescopic sights and gallery rifle. That was the cheapest/fastest route to a safe shooter card. The assessment is designed for those with previous experience though so not much good for someone new to shooting sports.