Getting into the sport

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Dooglag

Getting into the sport

#1 Post by Dooglag »

Hello guys, I've always been interested in shooting ever since being in the cadets when i was a lot younger and have shot a fair amount with a family member who is no longer around. I fell in love with his .308 Remington 700. I live in Fife and know a lot of the local farmers so having ground to shoot on isn't really a problem, however from other forums and online info about applying for my FAC they all seem to contradict each other. So i was wondering if anyone could lend a helping hand and if anyone knew about decent Shops/Clubs in Fife?

Thanks alot!
saddler

Re: Getting into the sport

#2 Post by saddler »

Live in Fife, but "home range/club" down as Bisley?

Which part of Fife are you in?

Shooting rimfire and gallery rifle near Dumfermline on Wednesday this week, then another trip to Blairadam this weekend for 300m rifle practice.

Are you wanting to get into rifle shooting at targets, or for shooting deer/fox on farmland, or a mix of both?
Dooglag

#3 Post by Dooglag »

Hi mate, I'm guessing thats the default as i didn't specify any club. Ultimately i would like to get into a mix of both but i can see myself veering more towards targets.

I'm down at the coast in Anstruther just off St.Andrews, Cheers.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Hi Dooglag, welcome to Full-Bore UK.

Why not introduce yourself on the New Members forum.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
ovenpaa

#5 Post by ovenpaa »

Welcome to the forum.

If you are leaning towards target shooting first thing is to find a club that suits your requirements be it small bore or full bore. Join the club and start a probationary period, once that is completed you can contact your local firearms team (FET) and apply for your FAC.

The alternative is shooting across a local farmers land however your firearms team might take a dim view on a first application to shoot targets on local land if it is just for targets, so you would need to get written proof that you have permission to shoot vermin then apply for your FAC listing the land, firearms and quarry. They may insist you have someone with you at all times for a period to ensure you are conducting your shooting in a safe manner however that is going to be down to your local FET

If you do join a club and ever want to shoot longer distances Blair Atholl is probably only an hours drive from you.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dooglag

#6 Post by Dooglag »

First of all thanks to everyone for the info, had a look at some of the local clubs and i'm going to go along to one of the "Fife Centerfire Rifle Club" Shoots hopefully.

Looking forward to joining this community.

Thanks again!