Fac granted

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Doodle

Fac granted

#1 Post by Doodle »

Morning,

So the Fac landed on the door mat at the end of the week.

Ive been clay shooting for many years but have only just got to thinking about practical and rifle shooting.

Now im in a dilema- what to do?

Do i wait patiently until i know roughly what i want and buy something or do i just go and have a look, like, buy, try and sell later on?
Im looking at practical shotgun but also gallery rifles at the moment?

Wheres the best place to research different types or even learn about what i can have etc?

im trying to read up on here but tbh my head hurts! mind you thats not hard sometimes!

what are you opinions when your a newb?
Holds Tight

Re: Fac granted

#2 Post by Holds Tight »

Go visit as many ranges as possible and shoot anything and everything that piques your interest. Shooters are a friendly sort (for the most part). Only after you've found what discipline or disciplines you find most interesting and enjoyable consider what you what to buy. This advice is worth 1/2 of what you paid for it.
Thomas Turner

#3 Post by Thomas Turner »

Surely you have "slots" already, my slots were decided, what they were going to be filled with depends on price because I don't have a big budget and other things like heavy barrelled over sporting because myself and my daughter and son shoot together, and for lever action side ejection (marlin) over top ejection (rossi) for both scope mounting and trajectory of spent cases ( we tried a Rossi and one of us kept getting the spent brass hitting in the centre of the forehead)in .357/.38
For bolt actions Howa for me in .308 and .223 with moderators
For .22 LR Ruger 10/22 with moderator, though I/we would like a bolt action too later and many look to fit that bill
HC shotgun looking toward the Revo tactical and LBR a Taurus
On the SGC the jury's out but personally I seam to like anything which goes bang, experience and if greater success at hitting the clays with any particular type is apparent, it's just too soon, all great fun.
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

If you can answer the following i might be able to make some suggestions for a PSG shotgun;

1/ Whats your budget?

2/ Do you have any preference between pump or semi-auto?

3/ Are you going to use the gun for anything other than PSG/TSG, if so what?

4/ Are you small to average build or average to large build?

Personally i prefer to research guns as much as possible before buying, but i know what its like when you get the FAC in your hand and 'the fever' takes over.... :lol:
DVC
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#5 Post by mag41uk »

Where about`s are you other than Bisley?
If you can get to my club you are welcome to have a look as we do most things.
Tony
Doodle

#6 Post by Doodle »

@mag41uk- I'm based in Bracknell- don't mind driving- that would be excellent - let me know details etc?

@blackstuff-
I'm large build, probably prefer a semi, i guess I would like it as cheap as possible but inguess I'm looking at a grand or there abouts. I'd rather wait a month and save than but a cheap model that's no good.

I would guess that it would be used mainly for target and if I can clays. The times that I could use it for pigeon I'd use what ever I had.

Cheers guys.
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

I'd have a look at a Winchester SX3 or a Beretta 1301 if buying new. If you're a big 'un you'll probably need a butt pad extension on the Beretta though. You could get a second hand Benelli for that, but again you'll likely need an extension on it as Italian guns are made for small to average builds.

All 3 would be ideal for PSG and pigeons, and with the magazine extension tube taken off, fine for clay grounds. (Some aren't bothered about S1 guns but some can be 'funny' with them)

Try before you buy is key though
DVC
Doodle

#8 Post by Doodle »

Funnily enough I've been looking at the 1301.

Just waiting for stock to come in at Williams Bisley to try one
I like beretta- have already ready got a 391.

Have been looking at the Benelli as well but yet to see/try one in the flesh.

Anyway. Thanks for your input
mackie

#9 Post by mackie »

I'm new to it all but I'd say the 1301 is a better gun for PSG than the SX3. Apart from a bit of running in to get it cycling reliably with 28g cartridges mine has been great. Works pretty well with load-2 straight out of the box too.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#10 Post by mag41uk »

Doodle wrote:@mag41uk- I'm based in Bracknell- don't mind driving- that would be excellent - let me know details etc?

@blackstuff-
I'm large build, probably prefer a semi, i guess I would like it as cheap as possible but inguess I'm looking at a grand or there abouts. I'd rather wait a month and save than but a cheap model that's no good.

I would guess that it would be used mainly for target and if I can clays. The times that I could use it for pigeon I'd use what ever I had.

Cheers guys.
This is the link to ARPC: http://www.aldershotrpc.co.uk/Home.htm#
Its a very active club and covers most disciplines.
Most types of shotguns are used by members including Benelli`s and Berettas.
To do psg with us you will need to have completed a safety course and be a full member. (for sec1 )
We have a guest day every third sunday of the month and need your details 2 weeks in advance. (gallery rifle only)
If you just want to have a look round I am there most Sunday mornings.
HTH
Tony