Cabinet question

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

StangGT

Cabinet question

#1 Post by StangGT »

I had a little search but couldn't find the answer to this;

I currently have a 5 gun safe at home, which houses my 3 shotguns.

I will be applying for an FAC later this year. Am I right in saying that unless I buy a bigger cabinet (or sell a gun or 2), the most slots I can apply for is 2?

Cheers

StangGT
zzr1100

Re: Cabinet question

#2 Post by zzr1100 »

I've got a cabinet at my shooting club and dual storage between there and home
Stuck

#3 Post by Stuck »

Once you get away from shotguns you would be lucky to get 5 guns in a 5 gun safe.

I have a 11 gun safe that is pretty full with 5 rifles & a shotgun.

Scoped rifles take up a lot of space.
SevenSixTwo

#4 Post by SevenSixTwo »

My seven only holds four at a push.

There ought to be a law against this false labelling!
Dangermouse

#5 Post by Dangermouse »

If your question is,

Does the law only allow me to have as many firearms as my safe manufacturer quotes can be stored in my safe,

The answer is no, however as others have stated, you will be doing well to get thst many in!

Having said that, individual enquiry teams may try to enforce their own interpretation of the law.

DM
rox

#6 Post by rox »

StangGT wrote:I will be applying for an FAC later this year. Am I right in saying that unless I buy a bigger cabinet (or sell a gun or 2), the most slots I can apply for is 2?
No. If your cabinet meets the security standards then you can store as many items as you can physically fit in it (subject the the limits of your FAC). If you choose to remove the stocks, woodwork and other unlicensed parts to fit them in then that's your choice. In practice cabinets are often wildly overstated when it comes to capacity, especially for rifles, but it is up to you what you stuff into it. I have 3 or 4 rifles that share the same stock, so they take up little cabinet space as barreled actions.

Primer

#7 Post by Primer »

Depends on what your FEO says as mine looked at my 5 and 7 gun cabinets (from the outside) and said they both look like 12's to me, who am I to argue with this expert. ;)

My 7 has got 7 guns in it but 2 are pistol/revolvers, 2 sec1 shotguns, 1 underlever and 2 M & P 15-22's and its full to the brim unless I take out the foam dividers.
Jackmanuk

#8 Post by Jackmanuk »

you jsut need to prove that the amount of guns you want can be safely and securly stored in the safe ..... who cares if there crammed in there upside down or in bits as long as there in there and hte door locks
StangGT

#9 Post by StangGT »

Ah ok... Thanks chaps... I may well upgrade to a bigger safe when I need the space anyway!
Cheers
Jackmanuk

#10 Post by Jackmanuk »

dont forget when your done with your old one you can always sell it on , its not permanent , and theres always people out there looking for smaller safes for there airguns . ect