Knee pads

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

FencepostError

Knee pads

#1 Post by FencepostError »

I could do with some knee-pads for practical shooting - something fairly low profile. I'm thinking trousers with pockets for knee pads, or perhaps the type of knee pads sold for martial arts which are worn on the legs like a bandage or support?

Thoughts, suggestions?
Barrakan

Re: Knee pads

#2 Post by Barrakan »

I remember a post about this a little while back and iirc the knee pads that skateboarders use got a positive mention hth
Mezzer

#3 Post by Mezzer »

Take a look at Dickies online catalogue for PPE. They feature cargo-type work trousers complete with pouches at the knee for foam pads. The trousers themselves are good looking, hard wearing and are excellent value. The knee pads can be removed in seconds once you have finished with them.
I wear these at work and they are the dog's danglies ...!

Mezzer
Dangermouse

#4 Post by Dangermouse »

I highly recommend my 5.11's.

Bought them around 6 years back and they still look good. They come with neoprene knee pads which have to be inserted before you put the trousere on. On first appearance I thought the pads looked a bit thin but during a 6 week shooting course they provee their worth. To many spent cases knelt on to count! Still thin enoug to wear them all day without fatigue.
Just recently found the covert AR magazine pockets in the leg pockets have a use as well :)

Not cheap but they certainly do last,

DM
froggy

#5 Post by froggy »

Salut,

Bijan Knee-pads are :good:
They are very confortable and quickly you simply forget you are wearing them. The best part is that they do not move around and don't dig into you legs when walking or running. If you buy them from the USA they are very affordable as well.
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

Get ones that fit into trousers, workmen ones are usually the best value for money. Don't get 'strap-on' ones as you generally have to have them so tight to stay on place they cut off the circulation and even when take them off at the end of the day it still feels like you're wearing them, know as 'phantom-pad syndrome'!
DVC
froggy

#7 Post by froggy »

Blackstuff... You were obviously using the wrong ones ;)
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

I've tried cheapy skateboarder ones, 5.11, Hell Storm, Viper and some other airsoft brands and they all left me with 'phantom pad' on the drive home! The ones with 'socks' (like support bandages) rather than straps were marginally better but the trouser pads i've found work best for me
DVC
qws

#9 Post by qws »

Hi, This is great timing. Just looking for Practical Shooting Knee Pads, following reading the thread just purchased a pair Dickie's trouser's with top loading knee pads. Hope this will spare my 60 year old knees.

So thanks to everyone's comments
Mezzer

#10 Post by Mezzer »

qws wrote:Hi, This is great timing. Just looking for Practical Shooting Knee Pads, following reading the thread just purchased a pair Dickie's trouser's with top loading knee pads. Hope this will spare my 60 year old knees.

So thanks to everyone's comments
The Dickies kit is very good for the price. You (and your knees) won't regret it.

:good: Mezzer