Live L1A1 Straight pull rifle

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
SevenSixTwo

Re: Live L1A1 Straight pull rifle

#21 Post by SevenSixTwo »

I thought that too but apparently these are exempt (somehow).... no one's explained it yet.
HALODIN

#22 Post by HALODIN »

It would need a "new" (un-vented) barrel as a minimum.

These boys make them, but I have no idea if you could import them. If you use Google Chrome to view the page it will auto translate it into English.

http://www.arms24.com/Waffen/Langwaffen ... _1324.html
HALODIN

#23 Post by HALODIN »

The argument is there is no such thing as a section 5 component, only section 5 firearms. So if you disassemble lots of section 5 firearms and make sure the same parts don't end up back together, replace the barrel so it doesn't have a gas vent and ensure it can't be converted in to a S5, you're good to go.
SevenSixTwo wrote:I thought that too but apparently these are exempt (somehow).... no one's explained it yet.
Charlotte the flyer
Home club or Range: Classified

#24 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

I think that the bolt carrier is also modified in order to prevent a S/A one being installed.
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.
HALODIN

#25 Post by HALODIN »

Yes on the L1A1's they were modified. In addition to everything else that's been said, I believe the gas block and the gas regulator are welded shut, the gas tube cut, the piston and piston spring removed on the L1A1's. The Imbel FAL's have only had the piston and piston spring removed and a new barrel added and that's it apart from some sear/trigger work AFAIK. As I mentioned before, the SD Imbel FALs have a new receiver, so they were considered a new rifle, hence the basic gas system parts are still intact.

Sorry for hijacking your thread bnz41! :grin:
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#26 Post by bnz41 »

HALODIN wrote:
Sorry for hijacking your thread bnz41! :grin:

No problem at all :good: I'm learning too.
SevenSixTwo

#27 Post by SevenSixTwo »

HALODIN wrote:Yes on the L1A1's they were modified. In addition to everything else that's been said, I believe the gas block and the gas regulator are welded shut, the gas tube cut, the piston and piston spring removed on the L1A1's.
So why can't a similar process be applied to other firearms? I could murder a SCAR Mk17...
HALODIN

#28 Post by HALODIN »

It can. Murder's probably not the best choice of words... :lol:
SevenSixTwo

#29 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Hmm. As I understand it, they have to be 'manufactured as a straight-pull' as opposed to being modified.
HALODIN

#30 Post by HALODIN »

The L1A1's and the FALs prove that isn't the case. Once S5 always S5 still applies, but as I said above, the current guidance agrees that this only applies to complete rifles, not component parts. At the moment they are being tolerated IMO, but if RFD's push to hard I think this might be reviewed. The Home Office have said that each rifle will be judged on it's own merits and potentially in a court of law, so whoever does this has to be careful.