Police confiscated my 150 year old muzzle loader.

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Tomo

Re: Police confiscated my 150 year old muzzle loader.

#11 Post by Tomo »

tonight's Evening Standard. Apparently antique firearms are now only owned by gangs and criminals.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/ga ... 67108.html
Stuck

#12 Post by Stuck »

I think stating they are "now only owned by criminals" is pushing the original article somewhat.
Spiggy

#13 Post by Spiggy »

Stephen wrote:
Spiggy wrote:AlthoughI did retain a very old family heirloom for display above the fireplace purposes. This gun was a double barrelled muzzle loader that used copper percussion caps to fire it. I don't believe that these caps are available any more even if I wanted them ( which I don't ). Also, one of the guns nipples for locating a cap is broken off, so, all in all, it is only suitable as an ornament.
That gun is unambiguously an antique firearm kept as a curio or ornament and is therefore completely exempt from all the provisions of the various firearms acts. I am appalled but not surprised, given the abysmal knowledge of firearms exhibited by many police officers, that they threatened to prosecute you. I know I am coning to this debate a little late but if you are still having problems please PM me and I may be assist with the correct words to be used in a formal letter to the police.

As it happens I was required to attend Dunstable police station this morning for the purpose of being charged for owning this gun without a permit. I am scheduled to appear at Bedford Magistrates Court in two weeks time in order to lodge a plea. Bizarrely both the police and the CPS pressed me at length to produce the permit I surrendered thirty years ago when a change of location required me to cease shooting and sell the shotgun I then owned. This seemed to be in order to establish if my permit had been revoked ; it had not, I surrendered it of my own volition. Your help would be much appreciated, all the more so since having retired and returned to the countryside I wish to take up shooting once more.
M99

#14 Post by M99 »

Morning.
Firstly you need professional advice now, before court as this has a mandatory custodial sentence. IainWR may offer some help, had you been an NRA member he would have been your first port of call. Alas I suggest a decent solicitor who understands these things http://clivereessolicitor.com Clive is one of the good guys and I suggest you ring him Tuesday morning without fail.

I don't wish to worry you unduly, but this is a potentially serious situation and you need legal advice and not advice off a forum. I am sure Iain, will add anything of worth to the thread and I suggest you take note of his advice.

Mike
ovenpaa

#15 Post by ovenpaa »

(e) Shotguns and punt guns chambered for the following cartridges (expressed in imperial measurements): 32 bore, 24 bore, 14 bore, 10 bore (2 and 2 inch only), 8 bore, 4 bore, 3 bore, 2 bore, 1 bore, 1 ¼ bore and 1 ½ bore, and vintage punt guns and shotguns with bores greater than 10. It also includes vintage (pre-1939) rifles in these bores.
Spiggy wrote:Thanks for this, amigo. It seems like muzzle loaders are exempt. Cheers !

12 bore is not listed which is reasonably common in muzzle loaders so you need to confirm the exact bore of the one seized. A picture really would be good and fingers crossed it goes OK for you.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#16 Post by 1066 »

ovenpaa wrote:
(e) Shotguns and punt guns chambered for the following cartridges (expressed in imperial measurements): 32 bore, 24 bore, 14 bore, 10 bore (2 and 2 inch only), 8 bore, 4 bore, 3 bore, 2 bore, 1 bore, 1 ¼ bore and 1 ½ bore, and vintage punt guns and shotguns with bores greater than 10. It also includes vintage (pre-1939) rifles in these bores.
Spiggy wrote:Thanks for this, amigo. It seems like muzzle loaders are exempt. Cheers !

12 bore is not listed which is reasonably common in muzzle loaders so you need to confirm the exact bore of the one seized. A picture really would be good and fingers crossed it goes OK for you.
If it's a muzzle loader, surely it's not chambered for any cartridge no matter what the calibre?
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
ovenpaa

#17 Post by ovenpaa »

Muzzle loader... good point and time for another coffee :oops:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#18 Post by Christel »

I could be totally wrong here...would it be worth calling headquarters in Harpenden and ask to speak to one of the chaps in the firearms licensing department?

Ask for advise?
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#19 Post by IainWR »

What, precisely, have you been charged with - ie what does it say on the written charge?
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#20 Post by 1066 »

Spiggy wrote:
John MH wrote:Check out Chapter 8 of this: Home Office Guidance

(a) All muzzle-loading firearms;

Thanks for this, amigo. It seems like muzzle loaders are exempt. Cheers !
Hi Spiggy - Are you sure it's a muzzle loader? Could it be a be a blackpowder hammer gun, possibly with an under lever or other odd breech locking action.

Something similar to this, if you've not had a good poke about with it for many years it might be easy to confuse.
http://www.dogsanddoubles.com/2010/07/a ... re-part-1/

http://merzantiques.com/photo/very-scar ... ng-shotgun

http://www.icollector.com/Rare-Pauly-sy ... _i12499301

During the transition period from about 1860 -1890 many good quality muzzle loading shotguns were converted to breech loaders.

Just a thought.
A photo would help greatly.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com