Remington .223 Varmint

Anything shooting related for sale, the management cannot accept any responsibility for the saleability of items in this section so take care please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All items for sale must have a fixed price please. No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed
No external sale links.
Sim G

Remington .223 Varmint

#1 Post by Sim G »

In the pursuit of my "Holy Grail", I'm going to have too many .223's, even though I love the calibre. So this one is on the block.

It's a SPS Varmint, but, had one or two changes. Firstly, it's been screwcut and recrowned. Next, I've had a Badger Ordnance extended bolt handle fitted. It has steel weaver bases and I threw out the flimsy SPS vented stock and put a tan HS Precision stock on it.

Right, the good bit if the above wasn't already enough, it's only had 84 rounds through it! 49 round count barrel run in and so far, 35 rounds load development. 53gn SMK's with Vhit N140 have shown some great promise, with 5 rounds into .75" at 100 and 5 rounds into 2" at 300.

This is the bit that some may not like. It's a 1 in 12" twist. Even though the barrel is 26" long, you're not going to get enough velocity to stabalise anything over 60 to 62gns.

But that said, why would you want to? If you shoot over 600 yards regularly, then you really don't want a .223. A 1 in 12 twist will do very well to 600, very well indeed. My last box of 53gn SMK's were almost half the price of a box of 69gn SMK's!!!

Be honest with yourself and your shooting. A 1 in 12 can make perfect shooting and economical sense!!

I'm after £695 for this rifle, and given it's work so far and the few touches, I reckon it's well worth it. The importers tell me that all Remington prices will be going up when they can get them in. Add the cost of the stuff done to mine.....

£695.

I'll get a couple of pictures up today.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sim G

Re: Remington .223 Varmint

#2 Post by Sim G »

A few no so good pics.... The stock isn't as light. Without the flash, they were worse...

Think Rem 700 Police, but tan stock, 1 in 12" twist.... ;)
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

saddler

#3 Post by saddler »

Nice stock. Well priced package for someone..
Sim G

#4 Post by Sim G »

Right then, for one day only before it's withdrawn and goes on Guntrader and Gunstar, a wee price drop.

£100 off.

£595.

Now that is a bargain!!!

techguy

#5 Post by techguy »

That seems waaaay too cheap!
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#6 Post by TattooedGun »

I paid almost double that for a standard police in .223 last year :( How I should have waited :(
Sim G

#7 Post by Sim G »

It's off to Guntrader and Gunstar....