Cabinet question

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

markyw

Re: Cabinet question

#11 Post by markyw »

I think anything over 7 requires a house alarm. Not sure if this is fact, or just advice from the FAO.

I have a 7 gun safe and currently it holds 2 air rifles, 1 shotgun, 2 rim fire and 3 centre fire rifles....so it can be done :)

Scoped rifles take up a LOT of room, as others have said, but a little patience and some Tetris experience helps. Admittedly, only 4 of mine have scopes. All are lined up along the sides of the cabinet, triggers facing inwards and with a solitary air rifle levitating in the middle of the melee.

Did see a nice 15 gun safe at Bisley at the weekend. Now just got to persuade the wife. :)

Regards

Mark
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#12 Post by Blackstuff »

If you can get the cabinet door shut most forces aren't bothered. The capacity number given by the manufacturers is just a guide for buyers to know how many guns the cabinet can hold. And the number usually refers to shotguns or unscoped rifles
DVC
ovenpaa

#13 Post by ovenpaa »

The alarm thing is dependant on the region, around here (Beds & Herts) a good rule of thumb is 10+ and an alarm is needed however this does not need to be monitored or maintained. Add a few more and you need a fully monitored and maintained system.

As an aside, if you do consider a full alarms system it is worth explaining why it is needed as alarm system companies will often try and fob you off with a hybrid instead of fully wired system.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
DW58

#14 Post by DW58 »

Interesting - up here in rural NE Scotland I was recently told 12+ section 1 before an alarm would be specified, so it clearly is regional.
Dellboy
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#15 Post by Dellboy »

does anyone use or can you use a normal safe ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

alijnclarke

#16 Post by alijnclarke »

I know someone who's got what can only be described as a bank vault safe. It needed a folk lift truck to install and will take enough guns to arm a small village.

So I'm pretty sure safes that aren't specifically designed for firearms can be used. So long as they're passed upon inspection that is