looking for advice on a variation

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

looking for advice on a variation

#1 Post by bradaz11 »

hi, new to the forum.

i've been .22 target shooting for about ten years at the local range, a few years ago we had some full bore shooters join our club and started shooting black powder at the range. i put in a variation for a .44 rifle, .38/.357 rifle (which i haven't got yet) a .44 muzzle loading revolver, and a .577 muzzle loading rifle. so i got a rossi R92, an uberti rem 1858, and a parker hale musketoon 1861

now my question is this... is there anything else out there fun to shoot that i should be looking at? i was considering a straight pull M1 carbine, which would be 30cal. i am also considering a pietta cattleman or possibly an armscore revolver, although i keep hearing bad things about them, so maybe not.

as i say, anyone got ideas? i am currently restricted to pistol calibres at my club due to the fps restrictions as i do not currently belong to a true full bore club, although i would be open to joining one if you can recommend somewhere in herts/beds area?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Charlie Muggins

Re: looking for advice on a variation

#2 Post by Charlie Muggins »

How long is a piece of string? Even with your range restrictions you are spoiled for choice.

If you like Lee Enfields there are .22 trainer variants, DeLisle carbine replicas in .45ACP and Pete Sarony's PC carbine in almost any pistol calibre you can pay for. There's also the Spanish destroyer carbine in 9mm Largo and Norinco do a K98 replica in .22LR.

The SGC lever-release carbine has a certain following; it's a nearly-semi-auto AR in 9mm, and Caledonian classic are planning on releasing a 9mm version of their VZ58 MARS "soon". SGC also do (or at least, did) a lever-action AR in 9mm and .30 carbine.

On the tacticool theme there are plenty of .22LR replicas or homages to just about any 'black' rifle you can think of; AR15, AK, MP5, STG44, PPSH41; MP40; M1 carbine; Uzi; Thompson... Plenty of fun to be had with 'classic sporting' rifles in .22LR too, many of which can be picked up for a song.

Finally there are a few lever-release long-barrel pistols on the market too, if that's your 'bag'. Not really mine so I can't fill you in on the details but they're out there if you care to look.
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#3 Post by bradaz11 »

Hi, thanks for the first response!

i should have said i also have 3 .22's already. i have an anshutz 1813, a bsa martini mk4, and a ruger 10/22 so not after another .22 at the moment, although the ppsh and uzi are tempting!

a DeLisle could be good, but i can't see pete sarony's pricing at the min as my laptop doesnt have office. so will have to wait till tomorrow as i cant be bothered getting the work laptop out now :)

i've looked at sgc, but again, they dont seem to have the best pf reputations... although something in 9mm is appealing

i dont want to be looking at a huge amount, although the itl m1 carbine i was looking at is £1400ish, so i guess that is my top limit for a gun atm, especially as i'd like another pistol sometime soon and will eventually be getting a SGC when renewing in a month or two, so i can start getting some shotguns too (do i need a variation for S1 shotties?)
Charlie Muggins

#4 Post by Charlie Muggins »

If your budget is £1400 I doubt you'll be able to find a DeLisle, and only a basic Armalon carbine -- no iron sights, synthetic stock, but a well made rifle.

SGC does have that reputation, but they have somewhat cornered the market in the UK. Not cheap.

Uzi or PPSH can be had under £500. Bit of a plastic fantastic but great fun.

Yup, S1 shotties need a variation and slot as per usual.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

Welcome bradaz11!

Why not introduce yourself on the new member forum?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

Charlie Muggins wrote:If your budget is £1400 I doubt you'll be able to find a DeLisle, and only a basic Armalon carbine -- no iron sights, synthetic stock, but a well made rifle.
<snip>
Yup, S1 shotties need a variation and slot as per usual.
ah ok then, that sucks but i can't blow all my OverTime on guns, as much as i'd like to ****

thats good to know, what do i need to ask for if i want some sort of pump action? do i need to give reason? and if so, what sort of thing counts?

as for my initial thoughts, does anyone have any input on why i shouldnt get one of the 'made from real parts' straight pull m1 carbines?
or are there any 9mm stuff im overlooking? not a big fan of long barreled revolvers though

just trying to get a feel for whats out there, as there arent many websites out there that show every gun availiable lol!
zanes

#7 Post by zanes »

Aren't CCA doing their Vz.58 MARS in 9mm?
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

bradaz11 wrote: thats good to know, what do i need to ask for if i want some sort of pump action? do i need to give reason? and if so, what sort of thing counts?
12b Multi-shot shotgun gun for Practical/target shotgun. That way you can chose what action you want at a later date i.e. pump, semi or lever.

You will need to either be a member of a club that does PSG/TSG or be a member of one of the PSG associations, either the UKPSA or Fourislands (F4i), some polices forces require both (club and an association that is).

The other 'good reason' you can give for a S1 shotgun is a significant amount of pest control, but obviously you'll need to have access to land that has a large number of pigeons/rabbits etc
DVC
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#9 Post by bradaz11 »

Blackstuff wrote:
bradaz11 wrote: thats good to know, what do i need to ask for if i want some sort of pump action? do i need to give reason? and if so, what sort of thing counts?
12b Multi-shot shotgun gun for Practical/target shotgun. That way you can chose what action you want at a later date i.e. pump, semi or lever.

You will need to either be a member of a club that does PSG/TSG or be a member of one of the PSG associations, either the UKPSA or Fourislands (F4i), some polices forces require both (club and an association that is).

The other 'good reason' you can give for a S1 shotgun is a significant amount of pest control, but obviously you'll need to have access to land that has a large number of pigeons/rabbits etc
excellent, thank you, guess i'll have to have a look for a club that does one then, as ATM i don't do any pest control, although i would be very interested in getting into some casual stuff

other thing would be cowboy action shooting i suppose, seems to look very fun!
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#10 Post by bradaz11 »

zanes wrote:Aren't CCA doing their Vz.58 MARS in 9mm?
a little out of my price range ;)