NRA probationer

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

@nd

Re: NRA probationer

#91 Post by @nd »

This may have been covered before but i cant find it,can anyone give me any info on.22lr rifle barrel cleaning
FredB
Home club or Range: stourport

#92 Post by FredB »

The late Bert Brookes, who worked in the customer test range at Eley, was not in favour of over cleaning .22 barrels. After each shooting session, he recommended pushing two dry patches through the bore. If the bullet lube system was to be changed ( if you visit the Eley web page, you will see that some types of their ammo use beeswax and tallow and some use paraffin wax), then the bore shpuld be cleaned with solvent soaked patches and wiped dry. Using the fixtures on the Eley range, Bert would demonstrate that a clean bore will not shoot accurately---it takes up to 10 rounds to get the lubricant into the bore, and then the groups come down.
Fred
@nd

#93 Post by @nd »

I am looking to possibly buy an Enfield Mk4 as a good shooting rifle, i'm not particularly looking for matching serial numbers although it would be a bonus, C&G firearms and Armalon Limited are my nearest dealers with Enfields for sale that i like the look of. Has anyone done business with or would recommend either before i start to look properly
@nd

#94 Post by @nd »

I was at Bisley today for a NRA club shoot when half way through a shooter turned up next to me with a .223 straight pull.
His rifle was fitted with a muzzle break,it's the first time I have shot next to a rifle with a break, normally there is a bang and not much els, all i. can say is I'm glad the ground was wet so I wasn't showered in dust
The noise increase was considerable not extreme but noticeable and the first couple of shots he took really caught me by surprise.
Christel
Site Admin

#95 Post by Christel »

@nd wrote:I am looking to possibly buy an Enfield Mk4 as a good shooting rifle, i'm not particularly looking for matching serial numbers although it would be a bonus, C&G firearms and Armalon Limited are my nearest dealers with Enfields for sale that i like the look of. Has anyone done business with or would recommend either before i start to look properly
Did you buy one?
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#96 Post by Mattnall »

@nd wrote:I am looking to possibly buy an Enfield Mk4 as a good shooting rifle, i'm not particularly looking for matching serial numbers although it would be a bonus, C&G firearms and Armalon Limited are my nearest dealers with Enfields for sale that i like the look of. Has anyone done business with or would recommend either before i start to look properly
Have you thought of perhaps buying a SMLE?
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
@nd

#97 Post by @nd »

I had a look at a SMLE Saturday i really liked it but it was a bit overpriced so i have made an offer and am now waiting for a reply.
I'll give it a few days and then start looking again.
TGBMaverick

#98 Post by TGBMaverick »

Chris at C&G is a top chap and would not hesitate in recommending having a chat with him
@nd

#99 Post by @nd »

I've got it!!
Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys.
I have just bought a BSA&CO commercial SMLE target rifle.
The top of the action is marked A.G.Parker of Birmingham it has a Parker Hale 5a rear sight a tunnel fore sight and was re barrelled in 1985
Now I'm like a dog with two tails and can't wait to take it out for its first outing .
@nd

#100 Post by @nd »

On my FAC i have no shooting over land it is for target shooting only.
Take it that i have a deer legal caliber .243/.308 etc
If i was to be invited on a supervised stalk or was to buy a stalking break/holiday could i use my own rifle or could i only use one provided by the person or company that i was stalking with.