FAC application

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

petedea

FAC application

#1 Post by petedea »

Hi all,

I'm just starting to fill out the paperwork for an FAC having completed my probationary membership period.

When I looked at it all 6 months ago I'm pretty sure the guidance notes etc said that one of the referees had to be the club secretary and there was an exemption from having to have known them for 2 years.

I'm now reading the latest guidance and I can find it anywhere!

Did I imagine it, or have the rules changed and I now just need 2 referees who have known me for 2 years, or is there some other permutation...??

Pete
zanes

Re: FAC application

#2 Post by zanes »

I thought club secretary was (compulsory?) on renewal- I know when I did mine I just applied with two referees who had known me for two years.

I would imagine the club secretary's approval is implicit as you are now a full member.
markS
Home club or Range: Grove small arms

#3 Post by markS »

You just need the two references from people who have known you for two years. I guess they might/will check with the secretary that you are a member but they don't require them as a referee.
bigfathairybiker

#4 Post by bigfathairybiker »

Your first application cannot have any club committee members as a reference.

The references can be anyone you have known for more than two years as long as they are not
family.

That is what I've been told.

Mark
Tommygunn
Home club or Range: Rustington Home Guard Rifle Club

#5 Post by Tommygunn »

bigfathairybiker wrote:The references can be anyone you have known for more than two years as long as they are not
family.
Or an RFD
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly - Peter Cook
StangGT

#6 Post by StangGT »

Or a serving police officer
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

bigfathairybiker wrote:Your first application cannot have any club committee members as a reference.

The references can be anyone you have known for more than two years as long as they are not
family.

That is what I've been told.

Mark
+1 for inital grant.

But then on renewal if you use any of your guns for target shooting one of your referees MUST be the club secretary
DVC
Meaty

#8 Post by Meaty »

[/quote]But then on renewal if you use any of your guns for target shooting one of your referees MUST be the club secretary[/quote]

I am just doing the paperwork for my renewal and I used my girlfriends father (a Dr.) as a referee on my original application-now we are married does it mean I cant use him, as he is now 'family'?
petedea

#9 Post by petedea »

Thanks all, that helps to clear it up - I must have put 2 and 2 together to make 6!
zanes

#10 Post by zanes »

Meaty wrote:
But then on renewal if you use any of your guns for target shooting one of your referees MUST be the club secretary
I am just doing the paperwork for my renewal and I used my girlfriends father (a Dr.) as a referee on my original application-now we are married does it mean I cant use him, as he is now 'family'?
(not specifically aimed at you) Does <anyone> flick through the guidance any more before asking questions?
Home Office Guidance wrote: 10.11 A referee may be of any background or occupation. A referee must be of good character,
and someone whom the police may trust to give honest replies to any queries which the
police may make of them regarding the applicant.

10.12 Members of the applicant’s family may not act as referees. In the absence of a court ruling,
‘family’ is taken to mean the following: wife, husband, mother, father, son, daughter, sister,
brother, aunt, uncle, grandparent and mother/father/sister/brother/son/daughter-in-law.
Cousins are not regarded as immediate family, but co-habiting or civil partners or partners
in a same sex marriage should be considered as ‘family’ for these purposes and should not
be accepted. Serving police officers, police support staff, Police and Crime Commissioners
(PCCs) or their support staff or registered firearms dealers may not act as referees.
So yes, you can no longer use him. Personally I wouldn't have used him before, but I appreciate a few years back there were more worries about professional standings etc.

Interestingly, from a quick flick through of section 10 I couldn't find reference to the need to use the club secretary as one referee on renewal of target shooting FACs.