Section 2 ammunition posted to your home?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

FencepostError

Section 2 ammunition posted to your home?

#1 Post by FencepostError »

This seems like a rather silly question but I've tried Googling, honest...

Is it legal (for a SGC holder) to buy section 2 ammunition (shotgun cartridges) and just have it posted/couriered to their home? There seems to be at least one UK website that purports to do exactly this (they require a scan of your SGC first).

I suppose it may be an effect of the requirement for an SGC only to buy, not possess, section 2 ammunition, but the site in question also has slug (so section 1) in their price list so I'm wondering if I've just got the wrong end of the stick...

(Also, would you need to be in personally to sign for them, or could someone else do it?)
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: Section 2 ammunition posted to your home?

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

Nope, Just Cartridges have been doing just that for years. :good:

http://www.justcartridges.com/howtoorder
DVC
FencepostError

#3 Post by FencepostError »

That was the site I was looking at :) I assume live slug would have to be via an RFD.
Primer

#4 Post by Primer »

FencepostError wrote:That was the site I was looking at :) I assume live slug would have to be via an RFD.
I think that is correct as slug is sec1 and also needs locking in an ammo cabinet at home.
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#5 Post by meles meles »

Doesn't ordinary shotgun fodder need locking away in a cabinet too? We keep ours locked up, we assumed it was mandatory as well as good sense...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Doz

#6 Post by Doz »

meles meles wrote:Doesn't ordinary shotgun fodder need locking away in a cabinet too? We keep ours locked up, we assumed it was mandatory as well as good sense...
Good sense perhaps, but not mandatory as far as I'm aware.
Swamp Donkey

#7 Post by Swamp Donkey »

Nope. Not required, but advised.

Sec1/5 ammo needs to be held on ticket, anybody (bar a few) can hold sec2 ammo without any paperwork, so no need to prevent access.
Demonic69

#8 Post by Demonic69 »

I've recently bought shotgun shells without showing my cert, not sure if that's illegal.
They don't have to be stored securely though.
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#9 Post by bradaz11 »

when i last bought shotgun shells, i was also buying some .22 ammo, they asked for my fac for the .22 to be added, but never asked for my SGC
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
SevenSixTwo

#10 Post by SevenSixTwo »

meles meles wrote:Doesn't ordinary shotgun fodder need locking away in a cabinet too? We keep ours locked up, we assumed it was mandatory as well as good sense...
I keep all mine on top of the wardrobe.