6.5mm long barrel

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Steve E

Re: 6.5mm long barrel

#11 Post by Steve E »

General consensus in the Uk is circa £100 per hour for engineering/machining work. (My charge out rate is £200 per hour in the rail sector) I know 'smiths that charge more and some that charge less. Overheads in the UK are generally a lot higher that in USA.
Blu

#12 Post by Blu »

Overheads in the UK are generally a lot higher that in USA.
Yeah no kidding 5mith
polemass

#13 Post by polemass »

thanks for info about gunsmith in Surrey,one day maybe...or if I will run in difficulties,but I am trying to do it on shoe string budget
some folks on uk varmiting forum run similar projects,we are all different...I am checking guntrader now and there is a hope;)
to early to say more,but I am trying not to give up on my AK47/RPK in 6.5Grendel idea-action as straight pull,what I can do myself is a big bonus,looking for a reamer too...
can buy chopped barrel from CG1896 6.5x55 for 40£-never used replacement part,but OD is 20mm and I need min23mm...hmm
looking for low cost parts is for reason-I am not sure if 8.8" twist will work with 123gn bullet properly,and barrel must be long,for me...
Alpha1

#14 Post by Alpha1 »

£100 pound a hour for machining a barrel is ridiculous. In fact its day light robbery. Any one who pays that wants his head looking at. We don't charge the nuclear Industry that. May be we should get into this gunsmithing business.
Were about is this cut down 6.5x55 barrel for £45.
Sim G

#15 Post by Sim G »

Steve E wrote:(My charge out rate is £200 per hour in the rail sector)

Which is probably why a season ticket for the 35 mile trip from London to Maidstone by rail is £5000 where I earn £18 an hour.... Feck me, did I make the wrong career choice!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Alpha1

#16 Post by Alpha1 »

I charge £45 a hour for machinists and they are the best in the UK. Our machine shops are state of the art they could machine and chamber a barrel in there sleep. But unfortunately they have much more technical stuff they have to deal with.
Any way were is this 6.5x55 barrel for £45.
polemass

#17 Post by polemass »

and look what folks in India or Pakistan can do with hammer and lot of imagination...for few quid per day...I do not comment on hourly rate for machinist but bear in mind-NOT to many are around those days,kids wanted to be estate agents or IT/Bank clerks...
remember Pink Floyd "The Wall"?-"teacher,leave the kids alone!"...so you have,do not blame immigrants for everything,some of them are very skilled;)
ok,barrels for 40£,ex carl gustav M1896 6.6x55,never used -NO CHAMBER!can be purchased in Poland,NO TICKET but proof of age-min18y ,on http://www.allegro.pl
for less then 100£ new blanks made in Czech Republic on http://www.komandos24.pl also not restricted(no chamber-no problem...)
but you need a empty slot here and Poland is very bureaucratic country,you were warned...(ps.lufa=barrel)