Hornady 9th edition reloading manual.

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
BRYAN3

Hornady 9th edition reloading manual.

#1 Post by BRYAN3 »

Hello Guys.
Do's anyone out there have a copy to sell. I would like to get one second hand,therefore cheaper than new. I have been trying to get one online but failed. Wallmart are selling at $23.00 but don't sell outside USA,likewise Cabellas on sale at present but refusing to export.
I have bought locally two pots of Reloader 17 and need to load some 6.5x55 for my Sako 85 for Sunday.
I have the cases prepped and a new box of S&B 120g FMJ.
The rifle is topped with a brand spanking Zeiss Conquest 3-12x50 with AVS turrets,needing zeroing.
I have half a pot of Viht N150 that I wish to save for my Tikka M55 using Sierra 155g Matchking.
Also unopened pot N140.
I read some sales blurb that said this particular load manual has loads for Re 17. I get the impression that powder is not widely used,certainly not mentioned in three load manuals I have at present.
I feel to tightfisted to buy a copy at UK prices at the moment,unwilling to have my pants tugged down.
Anything out Folks please.

ATB Bryan.
Alpha1

Re: Hornady 9th edition reloading manual.

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Why don't you ask one of the guys to run your data through quickload. Iv got a copy my self all though I have no idea how to use it. I must read the instructions one of these days. Or do a internet search.
BRYAN3

#3 Post by BRYAN3 »

Thanks Alpha.
I have to confess that half the reason for my post was that hopefully someone would offer up some data. I believe that Quickload thing is £125.00 ish, a bit steep for me.
The problem is that powder availability is patchy and I can't afford or justify a new manual every time the importers and stockists decide to change their stock.

Bryan.
M99

#4 Post by M99 »

Alliant don't list RL17 for the swede.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... lletid=115
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

Unfortunately I think you would of been better off with reloader 19 or 22 with the 120grain bullet. But anyway go have a look at my post in the forums reloading section.
BRYAN3

#6 Post by BRYAN3 »

Alpha.
I think you are right.
Unfortunately I had to go with what was in the shop. Lots of people are relating good results with Re 17 on the internet,but I want to see proper tables by testing labs. I will not take the the word of John-boy the Gator Wrangler.
Many thanks for replying.

ATB Bryan.
Col

#7 Post by Col »

65.5.jpg
not sure if this helps,quickload does not include 120 grn S/B bullet,bit it does have 131 grn.
BRYAN3

#8 Post by BRYAN3 »

Col.
Thanks for that.
I feel more confident now that 38g would be ok. I will make up 4 weights in increments.

ATB Bryan.
M99

#9 Post by M99 »

It is this cavalier attitude to reloading that is bringing it to the forefront of attention.
Just because it was all the shop had does not make it safe.
Your chosen load of 38gr is only 74.4% case capacity and with a 120gr projectile will give a working pressure of 39232psi which is a LOW pressure load according to quickload and warnings of the risk of secondary explosion.
The powder manufacturer does not recommend that powder for that bullet weight.
BRYAN3

#10 Post by BRYAN3 »

MiLisCer wrote:It is this cavalier attitude to reloading that is bringing it to the forefront of attention.
Just because it was all the shop had does not make it safe.
Your chosen load of 38gr is only 74.4% case capacity and with a 120gr projectile will give a working pressure of 39232psi which is a LOW pressure load according to quickload and warnings of the risk of secondary explosion.
The powder manufacturer does not recommend that powder for that bullet weight.
Thanks M.
I printed that Quickload page earlier to look at in more detail later.
I have Viht n140 also and may go with that for the 120g.
I am not completely stoopid,believe me,and thanks for your concern/warning.
I didn't get the re17 just because it was all they had thinking it doesn't matter what gets loaded.
There are other calibres and other bullet weights that I use.
I believe the Hornady manual now list loads for re17,trouble is I have spent so much money lately and don't fancy getting bent over buying another manual,unseen @UK price.

ATB Bryan.