Remington 1858 5.5" (Anvil Arms Conversion)

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
redcat
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

Re: Remington 1858 5.5" (Anvil Arms Conversion)

#11 Post by redcat »

Your choice of clothing, leather and guns depends on how you view the "Old West". I was brought up on Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy and such but now realise that's not what the West was like. You can go down the American SASS route which, dress wise, allows just about anything that you've ever seen at the cinema or local line dancing club. Or you can take a more authentic view and follow the NCOWS (National Congress of Old West Shootists) example which is much more rigid in its rules but much nearer to the actual Old West.

Holster wise the Eastwood rig would be commonplace at a SASS comp but would not be allowed at NCOWS events as the Buscadero didn't show up until the early part of the 20th century, and this organisation have a cut-off date of (I think) 1899 for equipment. A visit to a BWSS comp will show you much leather which has its roots firmly in modern competition - slanted cross draw holsters, belts fastened at the rear, shotgun cartridge slides with angled loops etc. - rather than the American West. You need to go down this route if you want to be a competitor.

Firearms wise you obviously have a very limited choice of revolver but a great variation in lever guns and shotguns. The smokeless conversion revolvers have a great advantage over traditional BP pistols in that you can run through a full comp of seven or eight stages without cleaning and you chance of a misfire or jam is almost nil. Not sure how your Marlin would stand up against a slicked and short-stroked Uberti if you want to go for honours. The 1897 pump shotgun is very popular but takes a lot more practice than a side by side if you want to challenge the top guys. From a historical point of view, the "wild" West was over by the time this shotgun appeared.

Whatever you choose you'll have a great time and meet some great people - CAS is primarily a fun event, although there are one or two who want to win at all costs. bangbang

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#12 Post by bradaz11 »

belts fastened at the rear, shotgun cartridge slides with angled loops etc.
Belts on backwards was so the saddle didn't push the bullets out of your belt, and shotgun cartridge slides cannot be angled, the shells cannot stick out from your body...
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
qws

#13 Post by qws »

redcat wrote:Your choice of clothing, leather and guns depends on how you view the "Old West". I was brought up on Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy and such but now realise that's not what the West was like. You can go down the American SASS route which, dress wise, allows just about anything that you've ever seen at the cinema or local line dancing club. Or you can take a more authentic view and follow the NCOWS (National Congress of Old West Shootists) example which is much more rigid in its rules but much nearer to the actual Old West.

Holster wise the Eastwood rig would be commonplace at a SASS comp but would not be allowed at NCOWS events as the Buscadero didn't show up until the early part of the 20th century, and this organisation have a cut-off date of (I think) 1899 for equipment. A visit to a BWSS comp will show you much leather which has its roots firmly in modern competition - slanted cross draw holsters, belts fastened at the rear, shotgun cartridge slides with angled loops etc. - rather than the American West. You need to go down this route if you want to be a competitor.

Firearms wise you obviously have a very limited choice of revolver but a great variation in lever guns and shotguns. The smokeless conversion revolvers have a great advantage over traditional BP pistols in that you can run through a full comp of seven or eight stages without cleaning and you chance of a misfire or jam is almost nil. Not sure how your Marlin would stand up against a slicked and short-stroked Uberti if you want to go for honours. The 1897 pump shotgun is very popular but takes a lot more practice than a side by side if you want to challenge the top guys. From a historical point of view, the "wild" West was over by the time this shotgun appeared.

Whatever you choose you'll have a great time and meet some great people - CAS is primarily a fun event, although there are one or two who want to win at all costs. bangbang

Redcat
I am also a fan of the old west everything from John Way onwards. I just really like the whole idea of a fun shooting using the pistols and firearms of the old west. I am sure everyone of us has in the past been looking at a western and imagining we were the hero of the story.

I currently have one 1858 Remington Nitro 5.5" ordered a second from Derek, delivery April / May next year. The Marlin has been slicked by Roger @ SYSS when purchased in 2009. As it has never been fired I will need to fully strip and clean to ensure all is OK. Only then can I see how good the action and loading gate work.

On my wish list is the Pedisoli Wyatt Earp (I have a section 1 slot)

Really looking forward to next year. I see you are also based in Co Durham where do you shoot CAS ?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#14 Post by dromia »

This has gone way beyond a Wanted topic!

Move the discussion to the Competitive shooting forum if you are going to continue.

It will also be visible to more people there.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/