Cmmg .22lr firing pin wanted

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Hunter87

Cmmg .22lr firing pin wanted

#1 Post by Hunter87 »

my cmmg rifle has been giving me light strikes on and off since I bought it new tryed everything else so I'm hoping a new firing pin will sort it.

I know I know should have bought an M&P I starting to wish I had of.
shotgun sam

Re: Cmmg .22lr firing pin wanted

#2 Post by shotgun sam »

Our club's CMMG's constantly have firing pin problems and several of them have broken and had to be replaced.
At least we have a few 10 22's which are at least reliable.
Other club members have also had problems with the firing pins it appears to be a common theme.
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
nickb834

#3 Post by nickb834 »

Hunter87 wrote:my cmmg rifle has been giving me light strikes on and off since I bought it new tryed everything else so I'm hoping a new firing pin will sort it.

Do you still have the BHOA fitted, was it fitted to the gun as per the instructions?

Are the springs in good order?

Is the FWD assist block still fitted?

Is the gun run dry, moist (oo-er), wet?

I ask because my CMMG has been fussy as feck to get going but since I bothered to read the instructions regards BHOA and then finally stopped using the FWD assist block - it's been utterly flawless this last year or so.

Must confess: Mine has the TACCOM enhanced extractor fitted about 12 months ago too (broke a piece off the original).

This might be worth a look if they're back in stock: http://www.suffolkrifle.co.uk/shop/tacc ... iring-pin/

or perhaps the bolt rehab kit: http://www.suffolkrifle.co.uk/shop/cmmg ... rehab-kit/
Hunter87

#4 Post by Hunter87 »

Yes to all your question the rifle was lubed but not to excess it was even there "improved" version lol
farmer7
Home club or Range: Inverness-shire

#5 Post by farmer7 »

I re-profiled the pin on mine after I got it 3 years ago, I was getting misfires straight out of the box, mine just seemed to be too fat and wasn't hitting with enough force due to the large surface area. After shaping it to be about the same as my other .22's I haven't had a problem since.
Just be aware not to make it like a chisel, you don't want to pierce the cases!
Hunter87

#6 Post by Hunter87 »

Hunter87 wrote:my cmmg rifle has been giving me light strikes on and off since I bought it new tryed everything else so I'm hoping a new firing pin will sort it.

when you buy a brand new gun as expensive as it is for a .22lr you shouldn't have to home gun smith it to work reliably
farmer7 wrote:I re-profiled the pin on mine after I got it 3 years ago, I was getting misfires straight out of the box, mine just seemed to be too fat and wasn't hitting with enough force due to the large surface area. After shaping it to be about the same as my other .22's I haven't had a problem since.
Just be aware not to make it like a chisel, you don't want to pierce the cases!
farmer7
Home club or Range: Inverness-shire

#7 Post by farmer7 »

I was only offering an alternative to a new pin which if the same shape as mine was originally won't help you with the misfire problem. It only takes a few minutes.
nickb834

#8 Post by nickb834 »

Yeah I agree entirely - but to be fair, every last one of my brand new guns has given me some kind of problem, my aged "battle" rifles bought second hand have been absolute perfection (in terms of reliability).

I guess we just get used to pi55 poor performance of our semi autos, because lets face it - theres too many box shifting RFD's and not enough gun smiths to get then running right.

I love my CMMG (now) but if Lantac had been dealing in them and fettling them again at the time I got mine - that's where I'd have bought mine from.
BamBam

#9 Post by BamBam »

I'm on my 2nd CMMG rifle and the only issue I ever had was with the FA insert that rides on the back of the bolt. When I got my 2nd CMMG I took it out straight away, because they do wear out and it's an expensive spare for what it is.

The one thing that you can and should do with a CMMG is to remove and clean the firing pin. The firing pin spring can get a bit gunged up with residue and oil, especially if you run a mod.
Gundoc

#10 Post by Gundoc »

Both mine and BamBams gun are from the same run as yours.

No problems with light strikes