French Lebel Bayonet

Anything shooting related for sale, the management cannot accept any responsibility for the saleability of items in this section so take care please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All items for sale must have a fixed price please. No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed
No external sale links.
Meaty

French Lebel Bayonet

#1 Post by Meaty »

Morning all,
A work colleague waltzed into the office yesterday with something that he "thought you might be interested in" I had a gander and to be honest, I didn't recognise it immediately but after a flick about on the web it appears it is a French Lebel cruciform bayonet, with scabbard, and because of the brass hilt and lack of quillion, dates to around 1916.
The condition I would say is very good with a few very small dings to the 'blades' and a very slight set to the steel scabbard (looks like it would be very easy to straighten but I will leave that to any potential buyer, if they want to!) see photo.
My mates grandparents had a private militaria museum in Cromer years ago and this was one of the exhibits that he was given on their passing but due to the fact that he is a serious pacifist he no longer wants it gathering dust in the house. The steel scabbard is complete and intact and has most of its original blue but does have a slight amount of fine surface rust that would soon come out with a light rub down with brass wool and a bit of oil but doesn't detract from the overall appearance. The four leafed retaining spring inside the scabbard is intact and strong as is the spring on the locking lug on the hilt. The hilt has been polished with brasso in the past (as evident by the white smears in the rail) but it hasnt been polished for at least 15 years so has a dull sheen now. The blade is of the correct length and the whole item looks totally un-molested and functions as it should and would make a good addition to any collection.
I have had a look around on the web and these things are going for between £125-£195.
I am looking for £100 including next day delivery by the Feds (if required)

Thanks for looking.
Meaty

Re: French Lebel Bayonet

#2 Post by Meaty »

Bump.

Now £80 including postage.
ovenpaa

#3 Post by ovenpaa »

Here is an interesting fact, I was talking to a chap a while ago who makes bagpipes from scratch and he uses cruciform bayonets, from memory they were to bore the Chanters and he had a selection of Lebel bayonets for just this purpose.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Meaty

#4 Post by Meaty »

Thanks for that Dave, if it doesnt sell at least I can go into business making chanters and hooka's.
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#5 Post by Les »

Meaty wrote:Bump.

Now £80 including postage.
What is the length of the blade?
Meaty

#6 Post by Meaty »

Les,
I will check when I get home but off the top of my head I think its 20 1/2"
Meaty

#7 Post by Meaty »

Yep,definitely 20 1/2" blade.
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#8 Post by Les »

Meaty wrote:Yep,definitely 20 1/2" blade.

Thanks. Blimey, that's not a bayonet, it's a sword! :o lol