Wanted brass oddments

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
WelshShooter
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: Wanted brass oddments

#31 Post by WelshShooter »

I concur, you need a shed. Then put your wife in it. Problem solved.
Gazza

#32 Post by Gazza »

Piccies of shell case

Gazza

#33 Post by Gazza »

WelshShooter wrote:I concur, you need a shed. Then put your wife in it. Problem solved.

:D Think I'd go in the shed myself, lots to do in there :good:
Gazza

#34 Post by Gazza »

Mattnall wrote:
Gazza wrote:First package in from Matt.
Cheers Matt, the kids have already ripped open the package and are now examining the calibres :good:

The .44 magnum and 7.92 are holding most interest at the moment, must be a size thing! lol

Cheers

Gaz
No problem, glad to be of help.

It always pleases me that when someone asks for a little assistance the good folk here (and in the shooting fraternity in general I have found) will step up to the plate.
And although Gaz has offered on several occasions to pay for the brass and postage it's always been declined.

Way to go guys. :good:

BTW you shell sound like a 25pdr just by looking at the numbers. Should be just under 3.5" diameter at the shell end.

It probably is just under 3.5" Matt but its a little deformed so best measurement I could get was 3.5"
Gazza

#35 Post by Gazza »

A bit of trawling around the net threw up some info about the big shell case. It seems it is a 25 pounder and was the standard field gun round of the british army.
One thing I didnt expect was that in essence this was a blank cartridge used as a propellant for the HE shell which was loaded first.
I always thought these were just "big bullets" as in the HE shell was in the end of the case and fired like a bullet.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#36 Post by dromia »

Breech seating bullets is common in Schuetzen shooting, very accurate, the stop ring bullet design was made for this type of loading. Paper patch bullets are popular as well.

So not all rifle cartridges are loaded with the bullet inside the case.

I regularly breech seat load my Springfield.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Maggot

#37 Post by Maggot »

Gazza wrote:A bit of trawling around the net threw up some info about the big shell case. It seems it is a 25 pounder and was the standard field gun round of the british army.
One thing I didnt expect was that in essence this was a blank cartridge used as a propellant for the HE shell which was loaded first.
I always thought these were just "big bullets" as in the HE shell was in the end of the case and fired like a bullet.
That's what I thought to be fair.

I trained on the 25pdr on the 80s as a junior gunner. From memory there were 3 bags in the case with a green polystyrene plug.

You altered the range by removing the bags and the elevation. I seem to remember they were red white and blue, but that could have been the Light gun. The system was similar with the Light gun, 105 Pack Howitzer and the 25pdr. Unfired bags were usually burned after the practice.

There was a hole gamut of shells about but obviously the stocks for 25pdrs were dwindling. The only reason we used them was that our 105s had been taken down south.

I seem to remember that a bunch of 5.5" guns were brought back into service for FOO training as a large cache of ammunition was found for them....quite how that sort of thing goes un-noticed is beyond me but apparently it does :oops:

I hope they get on well with their collection.

I have given all my spares away to the son of a chap at work although I do have a lot of .303 chargers kicking about. I have a few swaps but they have heads and oiled primers if that is ok? Possibly some simmunition from work.
Gazza

#38 Post by Gazza »

Thanks for the offer Maggot but I think they have a fair few .303's now in amongst the collection.
I'm going to take them to an army surplus shop in the school hols so no doubt I'll be coming out of there a few quid lighter, the shelf will bow more and the wife will moan more :D
bobbob
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#39 Post by bobbob »

Gazza wrote:Update on the "military shelf"

The wifes gone mental wtf
Apparently when she saw we had aquired the tank shell it is now "not on" that this sort of thing should be on the dresser wtf
What do "I" plan on doing with all this stuff she asks. Its not mine dearest, its the kids stuff :good:

ahh well :D

Gaz
Pop a few pretty flowers in the shell case, might sweeten her up a little. :run:
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#40 Post by snayperskaya »

These will be on their way to you on Monday.......

jpg images

5.45x39 7n6, 7.62x39 M43 and 7.62x54r 57-N-323S
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!