6.5x55 Go and No go gauges.

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
The Gun Pimp

Re: 6.5x55 Go and No go gauges.

#11 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Alpha - how come you have bought so many NEW 6.5x55 cases of differing makes?

I would strongly advise a box of new Lapua 6.5x55. I guarantee they'll chamber without resistance. New lapua brass is always significantly under-size.
Alpha1

#12 Post by Alpha1 »

They are cases I have collected over time I have all sorts of bits and bobs in all sorts of different calibers.
Actually what I don't have are any Lapau cases. I thought I did but I don't.
I just checked out of curiosity all the dummy rounds that came with it from the previous owner are Lapau cases.

Ah ah may be that's it.

I wonder if Adam stocks 6.5x55 lapau cases.
Robert303

#13 Post by Robert303 »

As a matter of interest what kind of rifle is it and what is known of its' history.
The Gun Pimp

#14 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Alpha - there's one golden rule - new rifle new brass!

Don't try and force old fired brass into a new (different) rifle chamber - we get so many of these whingers after a re-barrel - "My rounds won't chamber, what have you done........"

I'd be very surprised if a brand new Lapua case wouldn't chamber easily. Unfortunately, your little hand press will not reverse the effects of a 50,000psi distortion of the case!

You can't be far from Hannam's Reloading - 6.5x55 is the cheapest of all the Lapua brass. Far cheaper than a set of 'go' gauges!
Duey
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

#15 Post by Duey »

Just a quick question about Go NoGo gauges as I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly but do they not have a neck on them and only measure the headspace of the chamber and if that is the case a rifle with a tight neck chamber would still pass that part of proof as long as headspace was within the limits of the Guage
Alpha1

#16 Post by Alpha1 »

I have ordered new Lapau brass it's due to be delivered to morrow. The cases I used were un fired. When I originally bought the rifle I purchased Norma brass.
The Gun Pimp

#17 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Duey wrote:Just a quick question about Go NoGo gauges as I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly but do they not have a neck on them and only measure the headspace of the chamber and if that is the case a rifle with a tight neck chamber would still pass that part of proof as long as headspace was within the limits of the Guage
They don't normally have a neck on gauges - but you'd sure notice a tight neck when you tried to chamber a round. The gunsmith who submitted the rifle for proof would obviously mention the tight neck otherwise he could well end up with a blown rifle.

I'm sure once Alpha gets some new Lapua brass there won't be an issue.