SIG522 Classic (sold as spares) (London)

Anything shooting related for sale, the management cannot accept any responsibility for the saleability of items in this section so take care please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All items for sale must have a fixed price please. No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed
No external sale links.
Odd Job

SIG522 Classic (sold as spares) (London)

#1 Post by Odd Job »

I'm selling my SIG522 Classic as spare parts, because it is not reliable when firing waxy rounds with a moderator. As you guys know, I fire 500 rounds a session for the moderator testing I am doing. This results in the rifle getting very dirty, very quickly. It has got to the point where I can't fire more than 200 rounds without cleaning it. The residues coat the barrel at the chamber end, and they coat the bolt face which means that I am getting an unacceptable number of failure to fire with Eley Sport and with RWS target Rifle, which are my chosen rounds for testing.

If the rifle is used without a moderator, and with CCI Mini-mag then it is okay. It works fine.

However, I am going to be brutally honest about this: taking into account the problems I have had with it whilst firing Eley, I regard this rifle as unreliable and the price will reflect that. I want £90 plus the costs of transferring it to your RFD.

This is the rifle in its original configuration (which is how I will sell it):

Included with the rifle:

1) Original SIG SAUER case (which has scuff marks on the outside of the case since I have used it extensively to transport not only the SIG but other rifles also). The foam inside has two divots from the charging handle of the SIG and it has stains from cleaning fluids.

2) Original manual, cable lock and alternate thin butt pad and internal spacer for adjusting the extending butt-stock.

3) One new 10 round SIG magazine, boxed. This can be converted to a 15 round magazine by cutting off a plastic protrusion inside the magazine with a Dremel. I may have tested this mag with 10 rounds, I can't recall. But that's the most it will have had through it.

4) The Mueller Quick-Shot red dot sight as shown, with box and manual. Note that this sight is low quality and does not retain zero over time. I am only including it so you can at least shoot the rifle straight away. Once you have decided what sight to get, I suggest binning the Mueller. I didn't include the Mueller in the price.

5) One spare firing pin, manufactured by Peter Sarony (Armalon).

6) Two defective CMMG mags. These are 25 round mags but for reasons I can't fathom, they only work when loaded with 15 rounds or less. If you can't get them working, I suggest keeping the followers and springs as spares and binning the rest. I did not include those in the price.

7) One spare recoil guide rod and e-clip. These are the original parts which Garlands replaced back in 2012 when I was having feeding problems with the gun. Those problems have been resolved.

Note that this rifle did not come with any iron sights (that was normal for this Classic package at the time).
The barrel is threaded 1/2" x 28tpi and it will come with the factory A2-style flash hider.

I will be putting up another thread advertising various magazines and spares for the SIG522 for those who already have a SIG...
Dellboy
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

Re: SIG522 Classic (sold as spares) (London)

#2 Post by Dellboy »

how many rounds has this fired
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Odd Job

#3 Post by Odd Job »

On the original bolt and recoil guide rod, it has fired 6,544 rounds.
I then got a second bolt for this gun, and between that bolt (with new guide rod) and the original bolt it has fired another 19,983 rounds.

So, a total of 26,527 using the same receiver and barrel, but two different bolts and six different firing pins. In those last 19k rounds, there were 155 failures to fire (light primer strike which I suspect is caused by dirt between the bolt and the barrel). So it is running at almost 1% failure to fire, mainly with Eley and RWS.
Dellboy
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#4 Post by Dellboy »

Odd Job wrote:On the original bolt and recoil guide rod, it has fired 6,544 rounds.
I then got a second bolt for this gun, and between that bolt (with new guide rod) and the original bolt it has fired another 19,983 rounds.

So, a total of 26,527 using the same receiver and barrel, but two different bolts and six different firing pins. In those last 19k rounds, there were 155 failures to fire (light primer strike which I suspect is caused by dirt between the bolt and the barrel). So it is running at almost 1% failure to fire, mainly with Eley and RWS.

Thats about 10 years shooting for me may be interested in the spares though
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Odd Job

#5 Post by Odd Job »

Thats about 10 years shooting for me may be interested in the spares though
It's a moderate round count for a 22LR. We have club guns with a round count well in excess of 300k...
AL8

#6 Post by AL8 »

a friend of mine may be interested, I have passed the details on
Tommygunn
Home club or Range: Rustington Home Guard Rifle Club

#7 Post by Tommygunn »

I could well be interested in this, PM inbound
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly - Peter Cook
Fester

#8 Post by Fester »

PM sent
Odd Job

#9 Post by Odd Job »

I'm currently reserving the rifle for Tommygunn. After that transaction, I'll know what spares are available and I'll make a separate thread about those.
Odd Job

#10 Post by Odd Job »

Sold to Tommygun, who picked it up today.
I have one SIG522 Black Dog Drum magazine complete with box and manual, and one spare bolt for the SIG522 available (does not come with a charging handle)
I'll put those in another thread...