Best place to buy a Martini-Henry and/or Snider-Enfield?

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
James84

Best place to buy a Martini-Henry and/or Snider-Enfield?

#1 Post by James84 »

As the title says, I'm after a Martini (MkIV) or Snider and so far I have seen several advertised over at Bisley so may well make a trip to have a look but I was wondering if there is a more off-the-beaten-track way/place to get them? i.e. any fairs, shows or some back alley antique dealer who specializes in old antique rifles around Hampshire/Dorset/Surrey? Other option I have seen is ordering one from the USA from IMA.

I am also looking for advice on reloading. I have read up extensively and spoken to several shooters so I'm pretty genned up on what's involved and am ordering an X-ring mold when I've found/chosen which rifle and calibre to get but the question I want answered is about the brass. Should I form my own from shotty shells or fork out and get the drawn stuff made in Oz?

I know there is a 'wanted' section on the for sale section but I figured it makes more sense to post this in here due to the advice element.

Ta
AL8

Re: Best place to buy a Martini-Henry and/or Snider-Enfield?

#2 Post by AL8 »

I have one from IMA, which is yet to go on my ticket.
Even with import duties etc they offer good value for money.
They also have them on sale sometimes.
Keep an eye on the IMA website.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

If you want reloading advice then the Reloading forum is the place to ask.

X-ring moulds are made by Accurate and they are in Accurate's catalogue where they can be bought direct cut to your specific dimensional requirements at less cost than X-ring sells for.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
James84

#4 Post by James84 »

Thanks both for the input. Interesting on the X-ring molds, I have been in contact with Martyn from X-Ring Services and had no idea he was re-selling them.

I'm guessing the best bet with IMA would be to pay the hand picked option but I have also seen their Sniders and noticed they are not listed as Snider-enfield, are unstamped and made in Nepal. Does anyone have any idea if these are of the same same quality? I understand the action is solid so shooting shouldn't be a concern (pending inspection)
AL8

#5 Post by AL8 »

The Snider's are Nepal made, generally they are of a usable quality.
I have one and shoot it. Log onto

http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com

for all the info on both
James84

#6 Post by James84 »

Perfect, thanks.
James84

#7 Post by James84 »

I've just bought myself a Martini from IMA so I'll see how that goes. Thread can now be removed.

Ta
ovenpaa

#8 Post by ovenpaa »

James, I would be interested to hear how the whole procurement process through IMA went, how long you had to wait, any pitfalls and how the rifle turned out in respect to your expectations. Finally and most importantly will or have you shot it yet?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TomH

#9 Post by TomH »

Ovenpaa wrote:James, I would be interested to hear how the whole procurement process through IMA went, how long you had to wait, any pitfalls and how the rifle turned out in respect to your expectations. Finally and most importantly will or have you shot it yet?
Yep, full rundown (with pictures) when it arrives please. :good: