Peterson brass

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Peterson brass

#1 Post by mag41uk »

Any one know of a UK importer?
phaedra1106

Re: Peterson brass

#2 Post by phaedra1106 »

1967Spud and Dauntsey Guns sell it at very silly prices, Dauntsey are the cheaper of the two.

If you're looking for 6.5 Creedmoor Kranks have Starline in stock now.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#3 Post by dodgyrog »

I've got loads of once fired RP .243 Win brass and some other calibres - if you're interested pm me
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
mag41uk

#4 Post by mag41uk »

I looked at Daunstey and didn't think the price was bad.
I am looking for some small primer 260 brass - which they don't have!
TJC

#5 Post by TJC »

mag41uk wrote:I looked at Daunstey and didn't think the price was bad.
Do you have to have a small rifle firing pin to use small rifle primers ?
Laurie

#6 Post by Laurie »

mag41uk wrote:I looked at Daunstey and didn't think the price was bad.
Peterson 260 Rem SP brass has only just gone into production - I seriously doubt if many Americans have seen it yet.

I bought some standard 260 Rem Peterson cases from Dauntsey three or four weeks ago and asked them to check it was LRP. I'm in the opposite boat from you - the rifle they will be used doesn't get on with SR primers, not unless I fork out £300 or so for a firing pin thinning and bolt face bushing job to stop it blanking them.

When I told the assistant (by phone) they had to be LRP and would he check please, the existence of an SRP version was something quite new to him - probably thought I was some nutter who'd got the wrong end of one stick or the other.

I can see all sorts of fun and games starting soon with SRP in 243, 260 and one or two others that they've never been before. Decapping pins sticking in the 1.5mm flash-holes, deer loads losing several hundred fps MV on a really cold Scottish Highlands winters day, people wondering why their primers don't fit the case anymore etc, etc!

Peterson Cartridge has confirmed that all of its SRP variants will have the proper small dia. flash-holes. Starline is using the larger (2mm) flash-hole with its SRP variants. Apart from putting a bit more metal into the case-head and making it stronger, I see no benefits in using an SRP case in this form. (Alright, I they'll be less likely to produce hang/misfires in cold conditions and should work with hard to ignite powders like Hodgdon CFE223.)
Laurie

#7 Post by Laurie »

TJC wrote:Do you have to have a small rifle firing pin to use small rifle primers ?
Most custom actions have no problems here. Some - not all - factory actions do. It often depends on how the factory tolerances work out - a loose fitting pin in its bolt-face aperture sees excessive primer cup extrusion ('cratering') and if it's bad enough 'blanking' on one model; the next off the production line has a marginally fatter pin and smaller aperture giving a better fit. However, almost anything with a fat firing pin suffers issues here.

Blanking for those who've not seen it is when a firing pin aperture diameter disk detaches from the primer cup and is blown back into the bolt leaving a very obvious perfectly round hole in the primer. If you're lucky, the little disk or plug sticks on the firing pin tip; more usually it blows back into the bolt body and sooner or later causes misfires by blocking the firing pin shoulder and reducing striker travel. The escaping gasses also erode the firing pin tip, and may damage the trigger mechanism as they usually exit that way - you know through a kick on the blade that something has happened that shouldn't as well as seeing a thin wisp of smoke escape.
ovenpaa

#8 Post by ovenpaa »

I have a feeling Bernie Montana at Extreme Performance is/was the importer. I have some Peterson 408 CheyTac brass here and it certainly looks good.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TJC

#9 Post by TJC »

Laurie wrote:
TJC wrote:Do you have to have a small rifle firing pin to use small rifle primers ?
Most custom actions have no problems here. Some - not all - factory actions do. It often depends on how the factory tolerances work out - a loose fitting pin in its bolt-face aperture sees excessive primer cup extrusion ('cratering') and if it's bad enough 'blanking' on one model; the next off the production line has a marginally fatter pin and smaller aperture giving a better fit. However, almost anything with a fat firing pin suffers issues here.

Blanking for those who've not seen it is when a firing pin aperture diameter disk detaches from the primer cup and is blown back into the bolt leaving a very obvious perfectly round hole in the primer. If you're lucky, the little disk or plug sticks on the firing pin tip; more usually it blows back into the bolt body and sooner or later causes misfires by blocking the firing pin shoulder and reducing striker travel. The escaping gasses also erode the firing pin tip, and may damage the trigger mechanism as they usually exit that way - you know through a kick on the blade that something has happened that shouldn't as well as seeing a thin wisp of smoke escape.
Thanks very much. I appreciate your knowledge share.
mag41uk

#10 Post by mag41uk »

Replies appreciated - as usual !
If they ever get to UK I would get 50 to fiddle with.