6.5 A max

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
simong
Home club or Range: Saxon

6.5 A max

#1 Post by simong »

Morning Peeps,

Anybody got any ideas of where I can find some 140g A Max bullets please ?
I've just got a Ruger precision in 6.5 Creedmoor and have been told by the person that I bought it from that it likes these.
problem is, I can't find anybody who has them in stock ( mail order preferred )!

Best
The Greek
Suffolk champion...50 mtr precision flinching champion

Howa 308 GRS stock
Uberti 1873 45 LC
Ruger Precision 6.5
Laurie

Re: 6.5 A max

#2 Post by Laurie »

The AMax range was nearly all withdrawn 18 months to 2 years ago and has been superseded by the (more expensive - what a surprise?) ELD-X or ELD-M series, the former 'hunting', the latter match.

Hornady changed the tip material after finding issues with it on the AMax at long ranges, but with one or two exceptions the ELD-Ms have been redesigned to a greater or lesser extent to reduce drag / increase BCs. Some models may not prove as easy to 'tune' in loads development though as they have tended to become more of VLD shapes with a sharp shank to nose junction.

So, you can try the 140gn ELD-M, or try and find some older AMax models through forum for sale / wanted facilities, but you're very, very unlikely to find a retailer with any in stock. These were very popular bullets not just with paper punchers but also with foxers and deerstalkers as they were quite frangible and expanded rapidly in this application. When the word got out they were to be replaced, AMax enthusiasts bought all the remaining existing stocks in pretty short order.
simong
Home club or Range: Saxon

#3 Post by simong »

Thanks Laurie,
I'll try some eld-m's and see what happens.
I'll be working up a load with N150 so may take a while :-)

Best
The greek
Suffolk champion...50 mtr precision flinching champion

Howa 308 GRS stock
Uberti 1873 45 LC
Ruger Precision 6.5
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#4 Post by dodgyrog »

Nosler 140gr Competition bullets work well.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.