Mosin PU dealers/sellers

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Mauserbill
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Range

Re: Mosin PU dealers/sellers

#11 Post by Mauserbill »

Alpha1 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:55 am
bradaz11 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:39 pm i've got a blow torch and a disregard for rifles
A blow torch is useless it's a cut and but job you need to be a very good TIG welder to make it work. Take my word for it.
Hello
Late August I purchased a 1941 Mosin Nagant with Laminated stock and a DIY turned down bolt.
The bolt is not original, but it works looks fine so what's the problem.
Could somebody tell why as a shooter and not a display glass case all matching original collector it so important to have that matching variant.
Usually shot out and a bit rough around the edges when you can have a very good copy with excellent bore, furniture, and blued metal and at a fraction of the cost
Attachments
P1020615.JPG
P1020615.JPG (37.21 KiB) Viewed 556 times
P1020601 (2).JPG
James84

#12 Post by James84 »

Collector value.

In my opinion and experience though, I buy my rifles to shoot, so I, personally, am not hugely worred about things like that, as long as I pay the right price for them. As an example, I've had 2 Russian Capture K98s. both had excellent bores and shot very well, so I wasn't worried that they weren't matching.

The most valuable matching rifle I have is my 1954/55 Fazakerley Lee Enfield No4 MkII. I paid £400 for it back in 2016, I shoot it but it is pretty much perfect condition and is now worth a lot more. That one I am proud of and cherish as an 'all matching, original' rifle.

In short, if you don't care about things like non-matching bolts then enjoy it and don't worry about what anyone esle thinks :)
Alpha1

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

James84 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:45 pm Does anyone know who the stands/RFDs are/were at Phoenix who had Mosin PUs for sale? I am looking for one to buy (I'm after an original matching one, not a repro) and remember seeing several there for sale.

I have scoured the internet but cannot find any dealers advertising them, so wondered if anyone happens to know who the exhibitors were, or if anyone knows of anyone selling them?
Except the original poster clearly states he wants an original.
Mauserbill
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Range

#14 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
They are all "original" even if they don`t match
RJ156

#15 Post by RJ156 »

Alpha1 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:51 pm
RJ156 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:20 pm Not that I’ve been around long on shooting scene, but the handful of mosin PU snipers I’ve seen have been rotten as a pear!

And all have been over £1250 mark!

Not to say any worth having aren't out there, just there is a lot of garbage amoungst em.

After a small amount of messing I got my regular mosin shooting amazing and I’m gonna take some talking out of putting a repro PU on it I’m gonna need
The biggest issue with fitting a PU mount and scope onto a standard rifle is the bolt. The bolt on the standard rifle sticks straight out and fouls the scope so you can not chamber the round the original PU has a bent bolt to alleviate the problem. So if you want to build a replica you need some one who can bend the bolt for you.
I made my own for a laugh. Ordered a new mosin bolt body from Ukraine for £40 then cut and welded it. Quick dress and polish and you wouldn’t know if from original.

If you bent a regular one it will be very difficult to open the bolt.
dave_303

#16 Post by dave_303 »

There is also another sub-category.
Possible snipers - but with repro scopes. I have a a 1943 91/30. Has all the hallmarks of a 'genuine sniper', matching bolt handle to the receiver with a proper turned down bolt knob. The correct C stamp, trigger which is not your standard mushy mosin trigger and the correct pattern foresight (not adjusted for use with a bayonet).
What my rifle does have, however, is a post-war Ukrainian scope and mount - one that is gas filled.

Will never sell as a genuine sniper as I cannot definitely confirm it, but I certainly believe the rifle is possible the real deal.
James84

#17 Post by James84 »

Mauserbill wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:50 am Hello
They are all "original" even if they don`t match
The issue is more whether it is non-matching 'original', or non-matching 'reproduction'. The whole point of this thread is that I am asking if anyone knows of any original PU snipers as I do not want to pay the same price for something with a reproduction/fake scope, made in China with aluminium mount.

I am not fussed if the scope has been replaced in a refurb, so it is a non-matching, yet all original rifle. That is fine. What I don't want is a rifle that is fitted with fake parts, or a non-sniper variant that has been drilled and tapped then fitted with a scope.
PeterN
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#18 Post by PeterN »

Some info on how to tell a fake sniper from an original one. I have come close to buying a Mosin Nagent sniper but never actually got one.
https://russian-mosin-nagant.com/snipers_fakes.html
Regards
Peter.
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#19 Post by bnz41 »

You have a PM not sure if you have seen this one.
James84

#20 Post by James84 »

My searching of every single gun shop that has an online presence has come up with nothing. I am going to sit and wait and keep an eye on the auctions, however if anyone sees any genuine snipers pop up, or has one they are willing to part with, please let me know! I am considering looking at a nice Finnish M39 at the same time, so I have a backup option but I have always wanted a PU.