LER/Scout scope wanted

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Dougan

LER/Scout scope wanted

#1 Post by Dougan »

I've recently got a M96 Sweedish Mauser - My intention was to put a scope on it and use it for snap shooting, but after making various enquiries it appears that there is no way of putting a standard scope on without damaging the rifle...which I can't bring myself to do. However it did come with a 'no smithing' mount for a LER scope - but before I spend out on anything expencive, I'd like to try an LER scope first....

...So, has anyone got an LER scope left over from their pistol days that they would like to sell?

Also some questions:

I've seen replica scout scopes for the Mauser, which are 2.75 x magnification - was this the normal type of magnification that would have been used on the original scopes?

And, where would you begin to look for an original?
ovenpaa

Re: LER/Scout scope wanted

#2 Post by ovenpaa »

I seem to remember the original Mauser M96 'scope was a 4X Ajax if that helps? I shoot with a 3.bowl on my LE and it is fine to 800 yards magnigication wise.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dougan

#3 Post by Dougan »

ovenpaa wrote:I seem to remember the original Mauser M96 'scope was a 4X Ajax if that helps? I shoot with a 3.bowl on my LE and it is fine to 800 yards magnigication wise.
I've just looked the Ajax up, and it's the original scope on the M41 sniper (i'm learning :good: ) - however I can't fit this type of scope...partly due to the damage caused to fit it (I have a straight bolt handle version), and also I don't have a spare £1000 ( :shock: )

But if you say x 3.5 is ok upto 800, then 2 - 3 should be fine for 200 yards....
ovenpaa

#4 Post by ovenpaa »

Oops. I did mean M41 as well.... :oops:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dougan

#5 Post by Dougan »

I know a bit about Enfields, but have only just started to learn about Mausers since buying one - I had to double check which one I had before posting this thread ( :oops: ) .....It's a bit confusing when they're all named after motorways :lol:
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#6 Post by Sandgroper »

Sim G has a scout scope for sale.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
ovenpaa

#7 Post by ovenpaa »

Dougan wrote:I know a bit about Enfields, but have only just started to learn about Mausers since buying one - I had to double check which one I had before posting this thread ( :oops: ) .....It's a bit confusing when they're all named after motorways :lol:
Heh! I went to buy a magazine for my No1 Mk3* at the Phoenix one year and was OK until I opened my mouth and realised I had forgotten what sort of rifle I owned. "It's a Mark three, um, Number three, erm... Star three....awww..... dammit!"
/d

Shed Journal
Dougan

#8 Post by Dougan »

Sandgroper wrote:Sim G has a scout scope for sale.
Thanks for that Sandgroper - The 'Burris' would be nice, but I've never shot with an LER scope (or many other scopes), so was hoping for something cheap...just to try it out...
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

I have a LER scope on a mosin nagant. I bought a Darrel mount for it from thr States. I also got the scope from the States of the tinternet it was cheap and it works very well.
darell mount.jpg
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#10 Post by Sandgroper »

Dougan wrote:
Sandgroper wrote:Sim G has a scout scope for sale.
Thanks for that Sandgroper - The 'Burris' would be nice, but I've never shot with an LER scope (or many other scopes), so was hoping for something cheap...just to try it out...
How about - http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/543/10 ... e-ascop01/
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.