Question on Storage and Access of firearms

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Fullbore

Question on Storage and Access of firearms

#1 Post by Fullbore »

Hi all,

I will be applying for an FAC1 license in 3 or so months (after 3 month probation at my club) and have a question on storage and access of fac1 guns as myself and my wife currently hold shotgun certificates and we both own a shotgun which are both stored in an approved cabinet (5 gun + lockable ammo box in the top) which we both have access to.
However my wife isn't sure she wants to do target shooting with me and may not want to apply for a fac1 with me, would this cause a problem for me with storage of rifles/ammo in the same cabinet as her shotgun as this may be deemed as her having access to guns she is not licensed for?
If this would cause a problem would it be easier to have a 2nd cabinet for storage of FAC1 rifles and ammo or just to get her to apply for an fac1 license anyway as you know how women change their minds and can see her changing her mind in the future anyway?, also the monthly membership fees at the club are the same as 1 non member visit charge so paying for club membership for both of us isnt a problem.

Last question

If my wife chose not to apply for FAC1 and the storage situation was either not a problem or i got another cabinet would she be able to use my guns at the club in my company if she wanted?

Thanks for your replies in advance

Simon
saddler

Re: Question on Storage and Access of firearms

#2 Post by saddler »

The rule of thumb for the S1 guns you eventually buy is exactly the same as with the S2 gun you currently share.

IF she has an FAC - you can share the cabinet
If she does NOT have an FAC - she CANNOT have a key to/access to the cabinet where the S1 guns are stored

Easiest route here would be a 2nd cabinet

In this situation, she would be able to use your guns when at the club - AS LONG AS THE CLUB CRITERIA RE. GUEST DAYS ETC. WAS COMPLIED WITH
ovenpaa

#3 Post by ovenpaa »

Hi Simon,

You are going to need another cabinet or a wife with an FAC with a condition that states she can possess the firearms and ammunition listed on your FAC.

Regarding using your firearms at the club as a non FAC holder, it should not be a problem but is ultimately down to the club rules.

We had the reverse issue of this, I held an SGC and FAC, my wife applied for an FAC and was going to use the same cabinet as myself for the storage of rifles, all good until I pointed out that the cabinet also had shotguns in it. The FEO promptly suggested she went for a co-terminus certificate and all was good.

EDIT - Sadler beat me to the answer :clap:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Fullbore

#4 Post by Fullbore »

Thanks for your replies guys,

I thought this would be the case, might take her for a couple more non member sessions and see if she changes her mind and also enquire with the club as to what their guest criteria would be for her to use my guns.
bobbob
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#5 Post by bobbob »

Hi Fullbore, welcome.

I won't repeat what the others have said as they have answered your question.

Message to your wife. Have a go. You don't have to become a serious competitior, you are allowed to do it just for fun smile2 I don't compete, I don't always shoot when we go to our club or down to Bisley but I enjoy going all the same.

Sue
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
Christel
Site Admin

#6 Post by Christel »

Well said bobbob, there is more to shooting than just pulling the trigger. Reloading being one. Taking all your rifles out of the cabinet and checking them all over while using an oily rag to make the wood shine. (Obsessive, you bet :lol: ) Become an active member in your club?
To me practical shotgun looks like heaps of fun.

However at the end of the day, if one does not like things that go bang, then perhaps shooting is not for one. O:-)
Fullbore

#7 Post by Fullbore »

Thanks guys

Thanks Sue & Christel

She actually came to the club on saturday and got better scores than me :shifty: but said she thinks she prefers clay shooting more but i may work on her a bit as she didnt like clay shooting when we first started but does now.

I was reading the Home Office licensing guidelines this afternoon and found the following guidance note about storage:

19.17 The term “unauthorised access” has been held to include the constructive possession that can occur where persons
other than the certificate holder have access to the keys for security devices, as well as access gained by criminal entry to the
premises etc. Thus any keys to any security device should be kept secure, with access limited to authorised persons. This is
especially important if children are in the house. Knowledge by an unauthorised person of the location of the keys or to the
combination to the locks may lead to a breach of the statutory security condition. In the case of Regina v Chelmsford Crown Court,
Ex parte Farrer (2000) it was agreed that deliberately providing information of the whereabouts of the keys was an offence. It
was “reasonably practicable” for Mr Farrer not to tell his mother where the keys were kept in this case. With regard to shared
security, such as a firearm and a shot gun certificate holder sharing a cabinet, separate security provisions to prevent unauthorised
access to firearms once within the cabinet or primary security measure, should be made. Devices such as lockable high tensile steel
cable are considered suitable for this purpose.

So it looks like in theory all i would need to do would be fit a lockable cable within the cabinet and keep the ammo box keys seperate, maybe i will drop my FEO a line to see what his official stance would be.
Christel
Site Admin

#8 Post by Christel »

Always, always and I cannot say it often enough, always inform/ask your local FEO on what you would like to do.

It shows goodwill, nothing to hide, and most importantly they get to know you...soooo when you go to ask for the umpteen rifle on your FAC...well it normally helps.
saddler

#9 Post by saddler »

Fullbore wrote:...So it looks like in theory all i would need to do would be fit a lockable cable within the cabinet and keep the ammo box keys seperate, maybe i will drop my FEO a line to see what his official stance would be.
I think your interpretation will be a long way from what my thoughts on the matter would be...plus, I have a feeling which side of the fence the FEO will choose too!
ovenpaa

#10 Post by ovenpaa »

I must admit I was surprised but it is certainly worth running it past the FEO and pointing out the relevant legislation if necessary.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal