.17HMR as a target gun...

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Samul2692

.17HMR as a target gun...

#1 Post by Samul2692 »

Okay so I shot a Ruger 77 the other day in .17HMR and it got me to thinking, would this caliber be an option to target shoot in this country?

Firstly Is their any target ammo available in this caliber I.e non-expanding? I know hornady used to do an A-max .17HMR but I can no longer seem to find any.....

And secondly what competitions could you shoot it in at Bisley for example?

Sam
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

Re: .17HMR as a target gun...

#2 Post by the running man »

Cci do a full metal jacket version in 20 gn,I've shot .17hmr on short siberia,it drops 12 inches at 200 yards,consistently in the same spot mind you! Its point of aim at 100 yards................its above the envolope of most local shooting clubs and melville,being at around 2800fps (no qoutes please is said around 2800) its deemd to fast ie,it breaks the sound barrier. A shame as its really accurate and is a one shot stop on rabbits and the occasional lowland crow!.....
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
ovenpaa

#3 Post by ovenpaa »

I shot a borrowed .17HMR on a 25 yard range a few years ago. I was giggling with the first three shots and getting bored by the fifth. It had a moderator fitted, good glass and simply put each round through the same hole with no fuss or recoil.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Samul2692

#4 Post by Samul2692 »

*Bump*

Okay so I've decided after another few shoots with the .17hmr that I would definitely like to put in for one with my FAC application. It's so much fun to shoot at 200 - 300 yards given a bit of wind and at those ranges .223/.308 shoot like lasers so its an awesome shorter range fun gun that fills the gap for me at least between melville and 400+ yards (scoped I'm talking).

I've found at least 3 RFDs that stock the CCI FMJ 20gr rounds only trouble is they aren't too close to me but that's a minor problem as I see it as I called one and he said for £20 or so he could send them to my local RFD as an when I required them.

The problem I can see encountering is justification where my FEO is concerned. I could very well be wrong and am making this assumption based on a little "Google research" into getting .17hmr on your ticket solely for the purpose of target shooting. Many people (most of whom likely haven't even tried to get .17hmr on their ticket) mention the fact that there is no competition in which the caliber can be used. So I guess my first question is, is this true? On the flip side I have also heard that in fact a competition doesn't have to be formal and can just be an informal shoot between friends. Again is their any weight to this statement and either way will the FEO most likely just accept "target shooting" as a reason and not worry wether it will be shot competitively?

As always many thanks in advance

Sam
tikkathreebarrels

#5 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

Having over the years had a lot of fun using old .22 training rifles on ETR targetry out to 300 yards I can see where you're coming from with the fun factor, especially in a breeze.

At the end of the day it's down to you to demonstrate to your FEO that you have "good reason" and the fact that you might be in a small minority in using 17hmr on paper targets shouldn't diminish your case, simply give him less precedent to look to for guidance. As long as you're within MV limits on your chosen range and you're not picking a discipline which specifies calibres/chamberings you can theoretically shoot any calibre which takes your fancy.

Looking at this from a different angle, assuming that you have 17hmr on your ticket for vermin control you might want to zero and practice on specified rifle ranges and I don't think there's anything to say that you must use expanding ammunition on vermin. From the point of view of ricochets etc it may be prudent but that's another matter.

Samul2692 wrote:*Bump*

Okay so I've decided after another few shoots with the .17hmr that I would definitely like to put in for one with my FAC application. It's so much fun to shoot at 200 - 300 yards given a bit of wind and at those ranges .223/.308 shoot like lasers so its an awesome shorter range fun gun that fills the gap for me at least between melville and 400+ yards (scoped I'm talking).

I've found at least 3 RFDs that stock the CCI FMJ 20gr rounds only trouble is they aren't too close to me but that's a minor problem as I see it as I called one and he said for £20 or so he could send them to my local RFD as an when I required them.

The problem I can see encountering is justification where my FEO is concerned. I could very well be wrong and am making this assumption based on a little "Google research" into getting .17hmr on your ticket solely for the purpose of target shooting. Many people (most of whom likely haven't even tried to get .17hmr on their ticket) mention the fact that there is no competition in which the caliber can be used. So I guess my first question is, is this true? On the flip side I have also heard that in fact a competition doesn't have to be formal and can just be an informal shoot between friends. Again is their any weight to this statement and either way will the FEO most likely just accept "target shooting" as a reason and not worry wether it will be shot competitively?

Sam
Mr_Logic

#6 Post by Mr_Logic »

Sam
Who said anything about competitive target shooting? It is allowed to put holes in bits of paper purely for fun you know.

You could, if you were mad, shoot 17 HMR in F-Open, so there is a competition in which it can be used. Surely you've given yourself a good reason straight up - having fun at closer ranges.

personally, I wouldn't bother with HMR but it's personal preference - you have demonstrated as much good reason as is needed for target shooting, which is basically "I want one".
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#7 Post by IainWR »

Mr_Logic wrote:

Sam
Hi Sam

Look up "Firearms Law - Guidance to the Police 2002". Competition does not have to be formal.

Further, there are enough people making noise about .17HMR to get my attention as XO Shooting Committee.

So, if there were to be formal competition for .17HMR, what might it look like - targets, distances, no of shots, time limits, positions ...?

Guys and girls, in the last 25 years we have invented three new disciplines (F-class, GR and Target Shotgun). If there is another one associated with .17" (which was only invented in about 2002) I am ready to make it so - it may take a couple of years to get a full framework, but let's think how / what might be done and start doing it to explore the possibilities.

Iain
Target Rifle Rep
NRA Shooting Committee