The First Time

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

saddler

Re: The First Time

#11 Post by saddler »

I run a Rem 870

Last time I shot the L1 comp at Carlisle I did very well (times were such that they gave me a 2nd place for most stages I shot - mistakenly in the auto category)

That was the first time out since I had the gun, er, fixed...

Seems that when I bought it 2nd hand some years back, without my knowledge one of the main parts was missing - the ejector spring.
Used it for YEARS in comps & such with the occasssional hang-up of a fired shell on the bolt face. Was told that it must be down to my cycling too slow/fast (advice depended on who I spoke to)

I only realised a part was missing when looking at an article about Rem 870's on the net...thought "wots that funny bendy fing"....

Got the missing spring fitted - the gun now chucks the empty case 2 postcodes away

A LOT LESS can go wromg with a pump. My first S/G shoot at Bisley - I was really surprised how many of the autos were jamming/in bits/etc.

STILL have a couple of things I want to do to my 870 to fine tune it, but its a great gun that has a massive range of things you can add to it to make it better for your needs
BestDrugDoc
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Felton and District Rifle Club

#12 Post by BestDrugDoc »

Thanks for the encouragement Blackstuff!

I wont forget to ask for slug on the FAC.

I am thinking of getting a Mossberg 500 mariner 24 inch barrel (non ported) with multichoke - I have been told they are coming soon.... but not how much they cost. I fancied a silver one just to be different. I did think about a Benelli Super Nova but they just seem ugly....possibly not the best reason not to get one though.....
saddler

#13 Post by saddler »

£185 will get you an FAC Mossberg 500A, camo painted with a 24" rifle sighted barrel.
http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/120223110017886

Yes - 2nd hand - but a good way to learn the sport. The new price on such things is a joke at times....

Save the difference & use it to get some reloading gear, or a better stock, etc.
BestDrugDoc
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Felton and District Rifle Club

#14 Post by BestDrugDoc »

Yes that looks good - thanks for the link.

I will still have to wait for the FAC variation though, but does anyone know if camo guns are discouraged for PSC as well as camo clothing?
saddler

#15 Post by saddler »

UKPSA - yes, not really allowed

Other clubs - not an issue

My .02c worth - spend a fiver on a can of crackle finish or stone chip Krylon spray paint & 30 minutes later = new set of clothes for the bang stick
Dougan

#16 Post by Dougan »

Blackstuff - you've got to stop showing these vids - it's cruel temptation - and there isn't enough days in the week or money in the bank!

I like rifles with nice wooden stocks...but if anything was going to turn me 'black'...it'd be this 8-)
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#17 Post by Blackstuff »

Dougan wrote:Blackstuff - you've got to stop showing these vids - it's cruel temptation - and there isn't enough days in the week or money in the bank!

I like rifles with nice wooden stocks...but if anything was going to turn me 'black'...it'd be this 8-)
Go on, come over to the dark side, you know you want to . . . :twisted: If you're a fan of tree guts guns you can still come and play, there's no prejudice here O:-)

Seriously though, you don't need a 'black' gun for PSG and there are plenty of wood furniture pump guns on the circuit, you just have to be willing to get the odd scratch here and there :o :grin:
DVC
Dellboy
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#18 Post by Dellboy »

anyone know any places near sunny southend in essex ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.