How to extend my shooting to free time.

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Jwimpeney

How to extend my shooting to free time.

#1 Post by Jwimpeney »

Hello,

I have started this thread because I am stuck as to how I can extend shooting to my free time as currently it is limited to school, but I enjoy it enough to want to do I in my fee time.

I am already farmiliar with target shooting, having spent doing a year of .22 and full bore shooting last year. I also attended the bisley school's meet, and came third in the Ashburton cup.. Somehow (I think my average was 34.2, it got better as the week went)! I spoke to some private shooters I know, and they said that I should try and get more work done on full bore (not only do I shoot better in fullbore, but I enjoy it much more as well, unfortunately the school only offers one term of full bore a year, the rest has to be .22). I said I would look into it, but after looking magazines, I find I'm lifeless as to where I can progress from where I am. Another problem for me is money, i dont hae a huge amount, the only reason I can go tithe imperial this year is because someone is sponsoring me anonymously.

Does anyone have anY ideas?
ovenpaa

Re: How to extend my shooting to free time.

#2 Post by ovenpaa »

Where are you in the UK?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Tower75

#3 Post by Tower75 »

As above - where iz you at?

Secondly - right, where to start? To shoot in your free time, target-wise, you need to be a member of a shooting club. Now, some clubs will only take 18+ year olds, some have no age limit, however, correct me if I'm wrong, guys and girls, the minimum age for a FAC (Firearms Certificate) is 17 years old.

That's not to say you cannot shoot until that age, but you cannot own one until then.

So, knowing where you are will help as we can advise what clubs are near you, then it's a case of speaking to the club and going from there.
M99

#4 Post by M99 »

You have to be 14 years old before you can be granted a firearms certificate and must prove to the police that you have a good reason for possessing the firearm you wish to use, ie. a rifle. You will also have to show that you have somewhere suitable to use it. However, there is no minimum age for a shotgun certificate, though you are not allowed to use a shotgun without an adult supervisor until you are 15 years old. You
do not have to show that you have somewhere to use the gun or that you are a member of a shooting club. The police can only refuse to grant a certificate if they think you do not have a good reason for possessing a gun.

The licensing process is the same for youngsters as it is for adults. However, it is always a good idea to show that you have a supportive mentor a friend or family member who will guide you in your early shooting days. Support from your school can be very helpful but remember that many teachers are anti-shooting

http://www.durham.police.uk/info/firear ... ctions.php
ovenpaa

#5 Post by ovenpaa »

There is a minimum age restriction of 18 years old in place on MoD ranges. I am not sure what Bisley says about shooter ages on the camp.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Tower75

#6 Post by Tower75 »

:shock: I was told by Essex that I had to be 17 to apply for a FAC. I was 17 when I got into the sport however, but that's what I was told. Huh, learn something everyday.

Clearly don't listen to me :oops:
M99

#7 Post by M99 »

ovenpaa wrote:There is a minimum age restriction of 18 years old in place on MoD ranges. I am not sure what Bisley says about shooter ages on the camp.
Really? one of the MOD ranges we use is located on a "private" military school - they shoot on the range twice a week (We maintain it) the club also has junior members?!

Mike
Jwimpeney

#8 Post by Jwimpeney »

I live in Oundle, near Peterborough.
karen

#9 Post by karen »

Are you at Oundle School? Are you in the cadets? Which type?

Email NRA at memsec@nra.org.uk about the 3 year free membership scheme

Email me at karen@nra.org.uk with your address and I'll put you in touch with someone local

Love

karen
Doz

#10 Post by Doz »

I believe you have a good local club at http://www.orpc.org.uk/ - I'm sure I've seen one of the members on here mention it. Not at Oundle School are you? It might explain the less-than-typical approach to shooting sports!

EDIT: Karen beat me to it re. the school!