How to extend my shooting to free time.

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Jwimpeney

Re: How to extend my shooting to free time.

#11 Post by Jwimpeney »

Yes I am in oundle school, why do you ask? I am also an RAF cadet, got cadet of the year last year, and should be a junior corporal in a couple of months.

Seeing as I am turning 17 in two months, is it worth me saving up for my own rifle? When I spoke to my school shooting coach he said our local club requires us to bring our own rifles (and I can't use the school rifles). If so, I'm totally perplexed as to which rifle to choose, but maybe I don't need one in some clubs?
Jwimpeney

#12 Post by Jwimpeney »

Doz wrote:I believe you have a good local club at http://www.orpc.org.uk/ - I'm sure I've seen one of the members on here mention it. Not at Oundle School are you? It might explain the less-than-typical approach to shooting sports!

EDIT: Karen beat me to it re. the school!
Indeed this was the club I was referred to by my coach, but I will then need my own rifle, see above comment.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#13 Post by dodgyrog »

ovenpaa wrote:There is a minimum age restriction of 18 years old in place on MoD ranges. I am not sure what Bisley says about shooter ages on the camp.
Dave, I thought that it is 14 not 18 - perhaps somebody at the NRA can confirm???
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#14 Post by dodgyrog »

Jwimpeney wrote:Yes I am in oundle school, why do you ask? I am also an RAF cadet, got cadet of the year last year, and should be a junior corporal in a couple of months.

Seeing as I am turning 17 in two months, is it worth me saving up for my own rifle? When I spoke to my school shooting coach he said our local club requires us to bring our own rifles (and I can't use the school rifles). If so, I'm totally perplexed as to which rifle to choose, but maybe I don't need one in some clubs?
Good school, that. My cousin used to teach there in the '70s.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Doz

#15 Post by Doz »

Jwimpeney wrote:Yes I am in oundle school, why do you ask? I am also an RAF cadet, got cadet of the year last year, and should be a junior corporal in a couple of months.

I only asked as I was there a few years back with my son who was doing rugby trials for the East Midlands Barbarians. I thought it looked a fantastic school, and I was lucky enough to see and hear the CCF marching through the town (village?) on their remembrance day parade.
Re. the rifle issue, I think I'd be tempted to speak directly to someone at the club and see what they suggest?
Jwimpeney

#16 Post by Jwimpeney »

Ah, I've played in the schools marching band for quite a while now. Nice to see it has a good reputation.

Ok. I'll contact the club then, and they will be able to help get everything I need? Do you have any reccomendations yourselves?
Gaz

#17 Post by Gaz »

Have a word with the club, tell them your previous shooting experience and ask what the drill is about turning up on a club night, or whenever they shoot. I'd think it very strange if the club only accepted new members who already had firearm certificates.

Most clubs have a stock of equipment and club rifles which they lend to members. I wouldn't worry too much about getting an FAC until you know you have somewhere to store your rifles. Just concentrate on shooting and having fun! :shakeshout:
Jwimpeney

#18 Post by Jwimpeney »

Thanks for your help! I will speak to the club tomorrow (aka today, it's after midnight). It'll be great to join, I'll really b able to get some nice hardware as well! (jacket and stuff)
AL8

#19 Post by AL8 »

nice to see younger people involved in shooting. The club I go to use MOD ranges and we have been told that the minimum age is 16, but under supervision.
bobbob
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#20 Post by bobbob »

As AL8 said, good to see a young shooter who wants to get more involved. Lets hope the doors are opened by youthful enthusiasm and not slammed shut by bureaucracy.
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.