what rifle would you have for a first longer range gun ?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

mitchy

Re: what rifle would you have for a first longer range gun ?

#11 Post by mitchy »

Cheers for all the replies, I did look at a t3 and quite liked it I also looked at a remington 700 but preferred the tikka, but also liked the styer and each bolt is made for the caliber its ment to be shooting not just a standard size altered to fit all barrels
M99

#12 Post by M99 »

mitchy wrote:Cheers for all the replies, I did look at a t3 and quite liked it I also looked at a remington 700 but preferred the tikka, but also liked the styer and each bolt is made for the caliber its ment to be shooting not just a standard size altered to fit all barrels
Forget about the Styer unless you are going for the wood stock or an aftermarket stock. The synthetic stock is a nightmare, even on the MKII.

I have a 223 Remi VLS and a Tikka T3 Varmint in 6.5x55 - it is horses for courses.

Mike
mitchy

#13 Post by mitchy »

What do you find both like ? The 6.5xx55 was recommend to me as a good all-round round as long as I was going to self load, I guess the off the shelf ammo isn't great ?

Do you do much Target shooting or just hunting ?and why is the synthetic stock a pain on the styer ?
M99

#14 Post by M99 »

The styer stock flexes too much and your point of aim will not be consistent.

You would not get the 6.5x55 for Bunnies and fox - well I doubt it!

Mine is a Target rifle, but also conditioned for Deer and vermin. There is plenty of factory ammo for it if you do not wish to reload.

Mike
mitchy

#15 Post by mitchy »

Yes its a bit over kill for bunnies and foxes, would a 223 be a good caliber to go for ? I won't be shooting deer so It should do everything I need ?
M99

#16 Post by M99 »

mitchy wrote:Yes its a bit over kill for bunnies and foxes, would a 223 be a good caliber to go for ? I won't be shooting deer so It should do everything I need ?
Calibre is a personal choice - I am sure you will get lots of different opinions. Do you have access to suitable land (In writing) for your FAC to be conditioned for vermin?

I very rarely shoot rabbits with my .223, as I have the .22lr for the job, it is effective and at much less cost, if they are too far out, I simply move closer. I do; however, use it a lot for foxes and long range crows, but the ground I have makes it a nice safe shot across the valley. If you have flat ground, long range vermin is not usually safe.

Mike
mitchy

#17 Post by mitchy »

Yes I do have some land and I have more I can shoot on but not yet in writing, I think I will do more Target shooting with the a 223 for example and foxes and a 22lr as you said for rabbits, how far are you shooting rabbits out to with your 22 ?
M99

#18 Post by M99 »

mitchy wrote:Yes I do have some land and I have more I can shoot on but not yet in writing, I think I will do more Target shooting with the a 223 for example and foxes and a 22lr as you said for rabbits, how far are you shooting rabbits out to with your 22 ?
As far as I am confident of a clean kill at the time of the shot ;)

Mike
MartinS

#19 Post by MartinS »

Tikka T3 Super V in .223!

Job done. That should cover the lot!
tackb

#20 Post by tackb »

meles meles wrote:This 16 inch naval rifle has a decent range, though it won't leave much of Bugsy ...

All well and good if you don't mind a 16" group at best!